Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Directory - how do I install content?

I try to get a CanonScan Lide 30 to work with my retina Mac with Lion.

Canon does not give any support for OS after Tiger.

I have found this solution, that sounds promising: ttp://bobrost.com/sane/

But my problem is that the instruction manual for installing is to advanced for me.

I have pasted the instructions in below. As I understand it, the "directory" I shall copy the contents of "user" into, is the coding language itself. Eventually they mean under "users" in Finder. But that doesn't seem to work. My OS is in norwegian, and I struggle to find the right paths of that reason.

I've never been into the programming directory, if that's the place. I don't even know where to find it. And it seems strange that I should copy ordinary folders in there. I have the impression that the process is more advanced than just "copy".

If they by "directory" mean in Finder, I can't find the right place.

I need a very basic step by step instrucition in this, if someone would be helpful.

Thank you! 🙂

The instructions-text:

"INSTALLATION

Copy the contents of "local" into your system's /usr/local directory. If you want to view it in Finder, you may need to open a Terminal and:

cd /usr

open .

Depending on what software you have previously installed, you may need to create a /usr/local directory. Otherwise, be careful not to destroy the existing contents of that directory when you copy the SANE files.

You may need to add /usr/local/bin to your PATH. Add this to your ~/.profile

export PATH=$PATH":/usr/local/bin"

or

declare -x PATH=$PATH":/usr/local/bin"

Copy "SANE.ds" into "/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/"

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 5:35 AM

6 replies

Jul 9, 2012 6:26 AM in response to softwater

Thanks! My hope is that I can get this solved without a full education in programming. I just need some help to put the files/information in the right place.

I think I am at the right track. It is maybe not in the basic script the contents shall be copied, as I thought, but under hidden folders/documents in Finder.

After following this description http://guides.macrumors.com/Viewing_hidden_files_on_a_Mac , I found the hidden document .localized under "Users". This document is locked, and I don't understand how to go on further.

The contets I'm told to copy under "local" are folders with information. I don't know how to put anything in/under "localized", if that actually is the right place.

Jul 9, 2012 7:19 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc.

As you can see in this link http://bobrost.com/sane/, this installation is ment to make Image capture work with the Canon Scanner. I tried to launch the Image Capture now, with the scanner plugged in, no scanner was recognized.

What I still need is some basic help to understand what this mean:

"Copy the contents of "local" into your system's /usr/local directory." (see first post)

And how to do it. When this is done, the Image Capture should be able to find the scanner.

Thanks! 🙂

Jul 9, 2012 11:02 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc Davis! Now I got the solution.

You're right, I wasn't on the right path, I was just trying to find my way through the wood of unfamilar data language... But I think the download I was struggelig with, was a less advanced version of your first link.

Both option you gave here works, but the first one is free. I'm now scanning through Image Capture.

Thanks! 🙂

Directory - how do I install content?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.