Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sending iphone sms from my mac

I want to be able to interact with my iPhone using Mac OS X 10.5.8 or higher. Some of the things I want to do are:

- display my iPhone screen on my MacBook Pro screen

- open & close apps and generally interact with my iPhone using my MacBook Pro screen, keyboard & mouse

- compose SMS messages on my MacBook and send them through my iPhone

- read SMS messages on my MacBook that have been received on my iPhone

- get my iPhone to dial numbers from my OS X Address Book simply by clicking on the number in the OS X Address Book App (e.g. no interaction with iPhone involved). Would like to get a similar means of controlling my Cisco/Linksys VoIP phone in the same way if I could, but hey - one thing at a time.

My philosophy is this:

- I have used a Mac for the past 28 years and find it the best computer interface since sliced bread.

- I type at over 80 words a minute, so find it easier to type stuff on my Mac than on iPhone or other iOS device

- my iPhone (or my VoIP phone) is just another communications device that merges with my MacBook and extends my communications media to include voice & SMS along with other media such as Skype, iChat, Facetime (which I have on my MacBook btw), etc.

Together, my iPhone, MacBook Pro, iPad, etc. should form a seamless communications system that enables me to communicate with anyone, anywhere, using whatever method I choose (Voice, video, SMS, email, Facebook message, etc).

A nice to have would be able to integrate all the messages, phone call logs, etc. into Address Book, so that when I open a particular contact, there is an option to show me all the communications I have had with that person in whatever format.

So, anyone any ideas?

Apple, when do you think some of these features will become integrated features in OS X and iOS?

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 4:37 AM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2012 12:46 AM in response to rustianimal

KiltedTim - Apple do read these types of posts in order to pick up isses in their software, help develop pre-emptive bug-fixes, and identify future feature requirements.

k.kofflard - The link you give is for an updated version of OS X Mail that is available only in Mountain Lion. Messages is already on iOS 5 which I have on my iPhone. Whilst it enables messaging to other OS X and iOS devices, it can communicates mainly via the IP protocol and overiding SMS - e.g. when the iOS device is attached to an IP network, it bypasses SMS and messages the other iOS/OSX device directly. This is neat because if saves on text message charges to other iOS/OSX users, but does not work at all with non-Apple users (e.g. currently 90%+ of the population). However, if I try to message a contact who only has an old Ericsson mobile phone, it won't work on OS X and iOS5 simply reverts to SMS if it has a GSM connection (which of course Macs, iPods and most iPads do not have).

The point is we live in a hybrid OS world and will always need to exchange message with non-Apple devices. What I need is a simple means to use my existing SMS capability of my iPhone (to message non-Apple users), but drive the messages from my MacBook Pro using OS X. Surely it can't be that difficult to create a small App that enables this function?

sending iphone sms from my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.