Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone 4s is showing "unable to join network" when connecting to my home wifi network.

i tried resetting the network settings but still shows the same error.

got any idea how i could solve it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 5:48 AM

32 replies

Jul 13, 2012 8:58 PM in response to mansoorshah369

I believe that the iphone 4s ability to scan and connect to WIFI networks has been shutdown by IOS. I think intentional and wide spread enough to get negative press for Apple and have Apple come to the rescue. Changing your home network settings or hardware or resetting the phone are a waste of time. This problem will require a patch fix to the IOS and maybe that is IOS6 coming to the rescue. In the meantime your service provider data plan should be unlimited or the charges will be ugly by the end of this month. I have looked at pages on pages of iphone users with this WIFI problem and no one has a fix that resolves this for everyone. Apple is your target and demands from the users will make this go viral. no one wants to own or buy a smartphone that is not smart enough to connect to WIFI networks. my iphone 4s stopped working on WIFI as well.

Now any real world solutions or just more spinning of the wheels going no where on this topic?!

Jul 14, 2012 10:47 AM in response to tonefox

no nonsense intended. can you prove that the IOS is not causing the WIFI connection problems? my phone will not even scan for WIFI networks when it use to work just fine up to about a week ago. no phone dropping, no new software or apps, no change in service, no home WIFI changes, no usage changes of any kind. so why the disconnect from any WIFI services? you tell me. give me a working solution. rave on!

Jul 14, 2012 11:38 AM in response to newthink

If, as you claim, "I believe that the iphone 4s ability to scan and connect to WIFI networks has been shutdown by IOS." then no iPhone would ever be able to discover any WiFi network. There would be no such thing as a WiFi connection - it would be impossible. Tens of millions of iPhone users would not be able to connect to any WiFi network.

Perhaps you didn't phrase your opinion quite correctly?

I stand by my comment. "I believe that the iphone 4s ability to scan and connect to WIFI networks has been shutdown by IOS." is totally ridiculous.

Aug 19, 2012 5:15 AM in response to mansoorshah369

This is a certified "non-ridiculous" reply.

I have had this issue of not scanning for WiFi networks as well. I just tried the following, and it has worked for me, at least for the last 12 hours or so: This is a certified "non-ridiculous" reply.

1. Turn ON Airplane Mode

2. Power off the phone normally: Hold power and home keys for 6 sec, then swipe the "power off" slider.

3. Waited 1 minute

4. Turn on phone, wait for it to reboot itself

5. Turn OFF airplane mode,

Immediately, all WiFi networks popped up, and I could select my home network with the same saved password etc.

Of course, this might not work for every case, but it's easier than a phone restore and worth a try. If this works, please consider marking this as "solved"!

Darryl

Aug 20, 2012 7:36 AM in response to Darryl Zurn

Hi Darryl.

Slight confusion from my side with step 2. Do you press the power button until the slider shows, then hold down the power and home keys for 6 secs? Coz, my 4S shuts down before the 6 seconds is up. Then, of course, I can't swipe the power off slider.

Or do you power off using the slider as normal, then hold down the power and home keys? Coz, my 4S just shows the Apple icon as if it's starting up and then shuts itself down again.

If think you somehow got lucky, mate!!

Meantime, nothing official from Apple on this - and it's obviously a very common issue with the 4S if you scan across the forums.

Aug 20, 2012 8:21 AM in response to gordon2109

I just meant to do the regular power-down slider. I haven't done a power-off in a very long time, so I forgot what the usual procedure was.

In my own case, I pushed both buttons until the "power down" slider appeared, then slid it over and the phone powered down as usual. I don't know if a force-shutdown is needed, but didn't seem to be for my iPhone.

Good luck. I was terrifically frustrated that it wouldn't show ANY WiFi networks for a while, and now my regular WiFi is back.

Darryl

Aug 20, 2012 10:38 AM in response to mansoorshah369

the wifi problem with my 4S was eventually solved by replacing the phone. sounds extreme but it is determined that my wifi antenna was no longer functional. therefore no wifi connection anywhere. power downs did not help me. good to review my home wifi setup but that also did not solve the problem. if all else fails for you I would suggest taking your phone to an Apple Store and having it looked at and tested. hope this helps someone out there. 🙂

my iphone 4s is showing "unable to join network" when connecting to my home wifi network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.