Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Aperture library to iPhoto after update

Hi,

I'd like to transfer my Aperture library to iPhoto. I know they both share library now, but I have all the albums and photos in the "old" Aperture library. I need the iPhoto library to be the main one, so I have to transfer the pics to Aperture and then set it up to use iPhoto library.

Is there any way to transfer edits and photos? I don't want to lose all the changes I've made to my photos. Before the update, it used to be a "Show Aperture library" option in iPhoto, but it doesn't exist on the newest version :-/

Thank you

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 7:28 AM

11 replies

Jul 9, 2012 8:13 AM in response to MarceFX02

See this support article: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

It will tell the features that may differ when opening an Aperture library in iPhoto. As far as images and edits are concerned, both are fully compatible. Print products and Slideshows are not fully compatible.

You are using Aperture 3.3.1, am I right? Your signature says Mac OS X 10.6.7 😕?

Do you want to combine several libraries into one big library? Since you cannot import your Aperture Library into your iPhoto Library, you can use Aperture to create a unified library by merging your iPhoto Library and your Aperture Library.

Then use iPhoto to work with this merged, unified library.

This support article tells you how to merge libraries using Aperture:

Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

To be able to merge your iPhoto Library into the Aperture Library, you have to upgrade the iPhoto LIbrary by opening it at least once in iPhoto 9.3, and your aperture Library need to be version 3.3.1.

Make a backup of your libraries before merging, and it is a advisable to rebuild the libraries before merging, to avoid glitches caused by minor library corruptions.

Feel free to post back, if you have more questions.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 9, 2012 8:28 AM in response to MarceFX02

@Terence, thanks but I think you didn't get want I'm trying to do. Let me explain myself :-) If I open the (Aperture) library with iPhoto I can't use this library with an addon I have on XBMC (Media player). This addon let me access my iPhoto library on a network drive.

If I choose the Aperture library, the plugin does not recognize the format. So I need all photos in the iPhoto library :-)

@Léonie, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure whether the "unified" lirbary will work, but I'm going to try as soon as I backup my libraries on an external drive. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you!

Jul 9, 2012 9:18 AM in response to MarceFX02

K. so I did some trouble shooting on my aperture/iphoto libraries and this is what I learned. If you open both apps and drag a photo from aperture to iphoto then it'll import the most recent version/edit as the original into iphoto. In order to view the original you'll need to use aperture to find/view/revert to it. My aperture library was imported into iphoto pre-unified library, so it brought the edited version as my "original". If I use aperture or switch iphoto to my aperture library I can see the original.

Jul 9, 2012 9:38 AM in response to uselessSABOTAGE

Thanks for spending some time on this ;-) However, that's not an acceptable solution for me since my pictures are in RAW format. If I export them form Aperture to iPhoto (as you described), I get the .jpg version. This will increase my library size too much.

Right now, I'm stuk with the export originals from Aperture and import into iPhoto method :-(

Cheers!

Transfer Aperture library to iPhoto after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.