Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i want wireless net for emac Power PC G4 700 Mhz. Which card should i use?

i need information about wirless internet connection with an emac 700Mhz.....

what is the cheapest and the safest way to surf.?

Can i fix the card into the emac by myself???

Thanks for answers

Greets

kanoesel 🙂

emac 700 Mhz-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 3:01 PM

I think your eMac can take one of the Apple Airport Extreme Cards.

This gets installed above the CD/DVD drive.

Unfortunately this about all ypu can do because the USB wireless sticks are meant to be used with computers and Macs with USB 2.0 ports.

Early eMacs only used USB 1.1.

Here's what you need

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180729276871?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var =sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2012 3:01 PM in response to kanoesel

I think your eMac can take one of the Apple Airport Extreme Cards.

This gets installed above the CD/DVD drive.

Unfortunately this about all ypu can do because the USB wireless sticks are meant to be used with computers and Macs with USB 2.0 ports.

Early eMacs only used USB 1.1.

Here's what you need

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180729276871?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var =sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Jul 9, 2012 5:49 PM in response to kanoesel

Kanoesel,

If your eMac is a 700mHz, you need the original Airport card, not the Extreme. However, the fact that you say you are running Mac OS 10.5.5 concerned me that you may have a different model eMac. Without third-party hacks, you need an eMac of at least 1Ghz or faster to tun any version of OS 10.5. A little clarification might help us.

Original Airport cards are somewhat pricey. You can use a USB wireless adaptor but MUST get one with Mac drivers (most do not have Mac drivers).c This one will come with Mac drivers:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXP2802GU2/

If yours is really a 700 mHz eMac, you have only USB 1.0 ports so the adaptor can run no faster than about wireless "b" speed, but the Airport would be no faster. The USb "dongle" is probably the most cost-effective option.

Jul 10, 2012 10:15 AM in response to kanoesel

As Allan said yes USB adapters will work with USB 1.1 inputs if you are getting a 70o MHz eMac, but your will be limited to Wireless "B" speeds.

FYI, If, in fact, the eMac you're getting is a 700 MHz eMac with 10.5 on it, it was installed using a known hack method.

OS X 10.5 on a eMac that slow will not run very well for you.

I have my mother's eMac 800 Mhz running with 10.5.8 and it runs Okay for her needs, but is slow in comparison the my own PowerMac G4 with a 1.25 Ghz CPU and 2 GBs of RAM.

Here's a USB Wireless adapter I like as it has a wired USB base for moving around to get optimal wireless reception

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MXP2802NU2C/

Jul 10, 2012 10:32 AM in response to kanoesel

That is an Airport Wireless Express ( portable) base station that you plug into a wall outlet, plug your Ethernet cable from the modem you're using to get your ISP signal.

This sends out the WiFi signal from this small box.

It will, probably, work, but you still need some sort of USB adapter or Airport card to receive the signal.

If this is an early model eMac, you'll be relegated to Wireless "B" speeds only.

Since you either purchased this or were given this, I am curious. If purchased, Why an eMac? And why bother with an early model one at that?

This eMac is the slowest of the line.

What kind of budget were you on?

There are lots of used/newer Macs out there with a lot better specs.

If you're just getting into Macs, this will not be a very good first impression/experience for you.

The OS is not the best OS for this model eMac combined with the dog slow, nearly dial-up speeds of the wireless "B" specs.

We can give you more guidance about how to maximize some of the performance of this eMac, but, in this day and age, it's still going to be a turtle.

Jul 10, 2012 4:28 PM in response to MichelPM

Hmmmmmm, i bought in on ebay...i m from germany and i pay 50 Euro for each Emac 700 Mhz..

I only want them for playing music and chat a little bit with skype. i dont want to run big software....only music and internet....
Does that work with this good old ladies???

Here are the Specifications:

Emac # 1:

Produktidentifikator
Marke Apple
Produktlinie eMac
Modell ID PowerMac4,4
Modell Nummer A1002
MPN M8655D/A
Prozessor
Prozessortyp PowerPC G4
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit 700 MHz
Hauptplatine
Video-Ausgangsschnittstelle AGP 2x
Integrierte Eingangs-/Ausgangsschnittstellen 1 x RJ11-Telefonanschlussbuchse (Eingang), 1 x RJ45 LAN-Schnittstelle, 2 x FireWire (IEEE1394a), 3 x USB 1.1
Bus-Geschwindigkeit 100 MHz
Bildschirm
Bildschirmtyp Röhrenmonitor
Bildschirmgröße 43,2 cm (17 Zoll)
Festplattenlaufwerk
Festplattenkapazität 40 GB
Kapazität Interface Ultra ATA
Speicher
RAM-Technologie SDRAM
Arbeitsspeicher 128 MB
UnterstĂĽtzte RAM-Taktraten 800 MHz
Max. RAM-UnterstĂĽtzung 1 GB
Installierter Cache-Speicher 64 KB
CD / DVD
CD-/ DVD-Typ CD-ROM
Lesegeschwindigkeit des optischen Laufwerks 32x (CD)
Video
On-Board-Grafikprozessor NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
Maximale Monitorauflösung 1280 x 960
Installierter Videospeicher 32 MB
Video-Ausgangsschnittstelle Mini-VGA
Audio
Audio-Eingang Anschlussbuchse fĂĽr Stereo-Eingang, Eingebautes Mikrofon
Audioausgangstyp Kopfhörer
Modem
Modemtyp Modem
Netzwerk
Datenverbindungsprotokoll AirPort Extreme Ready, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
Netzwerktyp Integrierte 10/100 Netzwerkkarte
Abmessungen
Tiefe 43,4 cm
Höhe 40,1 cm
Breite 40,1 cm
Produktgewicht 22,7 kg
Sonstiges
Formfaktor All-in-One
Erscheinungsdatum April, 2002
AuĂźenfarbe WeiĂź

Emac #2:

Description
Dies ist eine konfigurierte Version des Produkts Apple eMac 43,2 cm (17 Zoll) Desktop (August, 2002)
Produktidentifikator
Marke Apple
Produktlinie eMac
Modell ID PowerMac4,4
Modell Nummer A1002
MPN eBay_AppleeMac17August2002
Hauptplatine
Video-Ausgangsschnittstelle AGP 2x
Integrierte Eingangs-/Ausgangsschnittstellen 1 x RJ11-Telefonanschlussbuchse (Eingang), 1 x RJ45 LAN-Schnittstelle, 2 x FireWire (IEEE1394a), 3 x USB 1.1
Bus-Geschwindigkeit 100 MHz
Bildschirm
Bildschirmgröße 43,2 cm (17 Zoll)
Festplattenlaufwerk
Kapazität Interface DMA/ATA-66 (Ultra)
Speicher
RAM-Technologie SDRAM
Max. RAM-UnterstĂĽtzung 1 GB
Video
Maximale Monitorauflösung 1280 x 960
Video-Ausgangsschnittstelle Mini-VGA
Audio
Audio-Eingang Anschlussbuchse fĂĽr Stereo-Eingang, Eingebautes Mikrofon
Audioausgangstyp Kopfhörer
Modem
Modemtyp Modem
Netzwerk
Datenverbindungsprotokoll Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
Netzwerktyp Integrierte 10/100 Netzwerkkarte
Abmessungen
Tiefe 43,4 cm
Höhe 40,1 cm
Breite 40,1 cm
Produktgewicht 22,7 kg
Sonstiges
Formfaktor All-in-One
Erscheinungsdatum August, 2002
AuĂźenfarbe WeiĂź

The Emac# 1 has an Airport EXTREME Ready....so, there it will work??? How can i tune up this old ladies for cheap???
Many thanks to all of you!!! Im new in the apple world..... 🙂

H

Jul 10, 2012 6:50 PM in response to kanoesel

Well, you can play music, it's will run on the internet. With today's internet, though, don't expect stellar performance.

If you are planning on using the video portion of Skype, there is no built-in video camera on the eMac.

You are going to need to find an external web cam that works with the eMac and USB 1.1 connection.

Or find one that works with FireWire 400 connection.

Both are very hard to find and I do not know where you'll need to look to find a compatible webcam in and around or outside Germany.

If there is an international website version of Amazon.com, you could start there.

Good Luck!

Jul 12, 2012 10:21 AM in response to MichelPM

Ok, i will try to find a cam. Can i Use a normal USB Cam, or are there specific Mac Cams???

But my favourite question is: Can i build in a Airport EXTREME card into Emac #1 ???? Or should i buy the former normal Airport card????

Here is the Card on ebay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/130728234634?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m142 6.l2649#ht_500wt_954

and the Airport Extreme Card: http://www.ebay.de/itm/221065686440?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438 .l2649&autorefresh=true#ht_500wt_954

Can i use the Airport Extreme card in Emac #1

and the above first, normal Airport card in Emac #2

Thanks for the help in this friendly Mac world!!!

Hermann 🙂

Jul 12, 2012 2:29 PM in response to kanoesel

If I am not mistaken, I believe both eMacs use the original Airport card and not the extreme.

I am not sure about about the 800 MHz model, though.

The 700 and 800 MHz models came out at the same time. So, my feeling is they both take the basic Airport card.

I found a link an our version of Amazon.com for OS X compatible USB 1.1 compliant web cams.

If you can order from Amazon in your country, see if these are available there.

if not, you need to pick one and try to locate for purchase and install.

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Compatible-Webcams/lm/R229XF7U7QM4Z6

If you can find and purchase this cam, this is the one I bought for my mother's eMac to use with Skype.

I found it works without the base unit. I couldn't get this cam to work on my mother's eMac with the USB base unit, but it worked great when I just plugged it into one of the eMac's USB ports without the base, just the camera head and gooseneck.

Here'sva link to that webcam

http://www.huehd.com/

Do Not know how you can search and find this for purchase.

Good luck!

i want wireless net for emac Power PC G4 700 Mhz. Which card should i use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.