Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spontaneously restarting programs

I have a problem with my new MacBook Pro Retina Display - every now and then all programs will spontaneously restart! I have been unable to figure out what triggers this, but what happens is that one second I'm working in any number of programs and the other all of them are restarting, plus some which were not even running before the event occured!

Any idea what could be causing this? I'm running OS X 10.7 with all the updates installed

~K

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 1:56 PM

13 replies

Jul 9, 2012 2:12 PM in response to Glasscut

I'll try this, but tell me how is resetting the PRAM suppose to help? (I'm curious, I don't know anything about it)

The annoying thing is that I'm on full battery, and while last time it happened I was on battery power I think it also happened while I was plugged in. As per # of applications running - it has happened with anywhere between 4 and 7 applications

Jul 9, 2012 2:48 PM in response to kwozniak

Hmm sounds like a saved application state issue and memory related.. I hate to ask are these graphic intensive apps. ?? games ??

Try these two things and restart if it still occurs then i recommend contacting AppleCare

disable the Resume and App Restore feature completely in Mac OS X 10.7.

• Launch System Preferences and click on the “General” icon
  • At the bottom of the “Number of recent items” list, uncheck the checkbox next to “Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps”

- Click on the Apple on the top left. Choose shutdown "Uncheck" Reopen windows when logging back in

**use your mac normally just like you were if the issue reoccurs then contact AppleCare.. Enjoy..

Jul 17, 2012 10:12 AM in response to kwozniak

I have the same issue, except the behavior i'm experiencing is that I'm spontaneously logged out, which takes me to the login screen. When I log back in, all of my applications restart. This happened about 5 or 6 times last night when I was unplugged with the retina display open. Normally, I work in clamshell mode connected to a cinema display or thunderbolt display. Thus, I thought it had something to do with the retina display being used. I rebooted the machine, hoping this would solve the problem. It happened again this morning while unplugged with the retina display in use. It hasn't happened when connected to the display.

Aug 3, 2012 6:24 PM in response to kwozniak

I am having this exact same problem. Incredibly frustrating, as I teach technical classes at conferences, and this will spontaneously happen right before I have to get in front of people using my laptop to present.

Apple, please fix!

My specs:

15-inch Retina MBP July 2012

16GB RAM

OS X 10.7.4, fully patched

Running (randomly): MS Office for Mac, VMware Fusion, Finder, PReview, Tweetdeck, Google Chrome

Spontaneously restarting programs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.