Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Run HTTP File Server on Mac OSX Lion Server?

Hello!

I have a Mac Mini running Mac OS X Lion Server.

I would like to be able to host a Web Server that runs within the built in Apache server that allows the transfer of files from Client to Mac Mini HD and vice versa using authentication from Open Directory.

My inspiration is HTTP File Server, or HFS (no, not the Disk Format). This, however, is a Windows Program. It allows a HTTP platform to upload and download files from the HD of the machine it is running from. It comes as a nifty .exe that has everything you need. I'd like something similar but to run on the Mac Server.

Note, the upload and download cannot be done over FTP. It must be using HTTP like HFS does.

At the very least, I'd like a HTTP (Port 80) Web Server that runs within Apache that allows upload and download to the HD.

And at best, authentication using the built in Open Directory credentials. And to make even more secure, HTTPS or SSL.

So it's like iCloud or iWork.com but using my own disk space and credentials.

Predicted End Product:

1. User visits https://192.168.x.x or https://MyDNSName.dns.com
  2. Greeted with Home Screen (.html or .php)
  3. Clicks login
  4. Has a nice login window to use (probably have to be .php to keep simple)
  5. Logs in using same credentials as they would to logon to Mac Mini locally
  6. Greeted with view of their files in their Directory, e.g.: /Library/Server/Web/HFS/User1 or /Library/Server/Web/HFS/User2, etc
  7. Can choose to download present files
  8. Or upload. Click Upload
  9. Upload window appears. Selects file on Client machine.
  10. Over HTTP, file is uploaded to Host Machine to /Library/Server/Web/HFS/User1

What I'd like to know is what is the easiest way of going about this? Some kind of CMS like Wordpress or software like HFS?

Many thanks,

Clark

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Server

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 3:37 PM

1 reply

Jul 9, 2012 6:06 PM in response to Clark Brydon

I'm a little confused here... what's the requirement for HTTP based transfers vs. traditional file sharing protocols such as AFP?

Secondly, how does 'HFS' differ from any other HTTP form-based uploader? Any web CGI or scripting system such as PHP or Perl could easily present an upload form.

Have you considered WebDAV, which is designed as s file transfer protocol over HTTP?

It integrates at the Finder level, meaning you can copy files by simply dragging and dropping file (and folder) icons in the desktop, just like on a local drive. It's part of the standard Mac OS X Apache installation, too.

Run HTTP File Server on Mac OSX Lion Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.