Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP error doesn't require new cables. Trust me.

I came to several forums to find that the HDCP error has ruined people's relationship with Apple. It almost did me in as well. You are watching Netflix on your Apple TV one night and the next night you have a message that the information needs HDCP compatible cables. So you start to plug and unplug things. Switch cables. There is a quick fix at Apple. Here it is copied

Apple TV (2nd generation): About Apple TV and HDCP

Summary

HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is a form of digital copy protection that requires compatibility between a source, such as your Apple TV, and a receiver, such as a high definition TV. Apple TV (2nd generation) supports HDCP.

Products Affected

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Your HDTV must support HDCP; otherwise, video will not play.

Issues may occur if HDCP is not detected

If HDCP authentication does not succeed, you may see one of the following symptoms:

• A message may appear on your television stating "This content requires HDCP for playback. HDCP isn't supported by your HDMI connection."
  • You may see periodic bands of static, or full screen static, flashing across your TV screen.
If you are experiencing either of the symptoms above, try playing the same content again for at least another 10 seconds. If the issue persists, try the following steps until the issue is resolved:
  1. Connect your Apple TV (2nd generation) directly to your HDTV using an HDMI cable.
  2. Set your Apple TV and HDTV to off or sleep mode
    1. From the Apple TV interface, select: Settings -> Sleep Now.
    2. Turn off your TV and wait for about 10 seconds.
    3. Turn your TV back on.
    4. Press the Select button on your Apple TV remote to wake your Apple TV.
  3. Some HDTVs may need a firmware update. Consult your TV manufacturer's user manual or online support pages for additional information about how to update your TV's firmware.
  4. If available, try using a different HDMI to HDMI cable, such as an Apple HDMI to HDMI cable, directly between your Apple TV (2nd generation) and 720p HDCP-compatible HDTV.

Additional Information

Even if your HDTV supports HDCP, you may still experience HDCP related issues when connecting your Apple TV (2nd generation) to your HDTV if:
  • You have connected your Apple TV to a HDMI-to-DVI adapter that does not support HDCP
  • You have connected your Apple TV to your TV using a HDMI cable that does not support HDCP
  • You have connected your Apple TV to your TV via an AV receiver that does not support HDCP
  • You have connected your Apple TV to a HDMI hub, switch, scaler, or extender that does not support HDCP
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Rate this article:

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 4:31 PM

12 replies

Oct 7, 2017 12:18 PM in response to be.free

U’re failure 2 understand and apply technology is NOT a valid reason 2 blame Apple. This is NOT ”greed” by Apple, but rather, a method 2 protect the copy rights of others. HDCP is NOT a standard set by Apple, so ur accusations R false. Many equipment manufactures R HDCP compliant, so there is NO need 2 buy a cable, or anything else from Apple. As such, U will continue 2 run into this, no matter what competitor U use.

On on the other hand, I can completely understand ur frustration about the ever changing graphical user interface (GUI) in much of today’s tech. I like 2 compare it 2 a swimming pool that is deep at one end and quite shallow at the other. It is up 2 U 2 ascertain which end is safe to make a dive from BEFORE U jump in. While some pools have clear markings along the sides, showing depth, and others have a diving board at one end, and many have both; others have none of these. It is ALWAYS up 2 the user 2 determine what U’re getting into B 4 U dive in.

Dec 29, 2017 10:26 AM in response to katiethinks2much

Cable problem? Whatever! Here's what happens to me.

Last night I purchased Star Trek: Into Darkness. The movie plays great, crystal clear 4K goodness. There are about 11 iTunes featurettes (estimate, I didn't count them). Only 5 of them play. The other featurettes give me the following error:

"This video cannot be played. It looks like your HDMI cable or connection doesn't support HDCP, which is required to play this type of video. Try reconnecting.........." and it goes on.

Riddle me this, Apple: Why, or more importantly, how can a single cable discriminate against some content and support other content with no problems? How is this a cable issue? The logic and smarts that verifies compliance with HDCP standards is built into the TV and the Apple TV 4K device. The cable is just a means to get from A to B.

Jul 9, 2012 5:17 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Well, I got the guy at Apple Support to tell me sometimes an electrical storm or little power fluctuation can cause this error message. I suppose that there are other problems, but turning off the tv set, and setting Apple TV to sleep and then turning on the TV and then Apple tv and backing out of the error message by using the menu selector is a FIRST TRY THIS kind of event for me. It is easier than yanking out HDMI cables and replacing them with others. Whatever works!

Nov 3, 2012 12:45 AM in response to yvr2lax

I purchased a movie for my kids on iTunes called "The Smurfs" - it is the first time I've purchased a movie on iTunes. It was downloaded to our iPad on holiday. When I tried to play it for my kids on the HD TV with an HDMI output it would not play giving an error message something about HDCP copy protection. When we got back home the same thing happened. As they are little kids we do not allow them to use the iPad so we are not willing to show them the movie on the iPad. This is incredibly frustrating and of course my kids were very disappointed on holiday. I have Googled this problem and see it is another outrageous attempt at Apple trying to sneakily limit and solicit money from consumers in an underhanded way. I went back to iTunes to check and two things became clear:

1. On iTunes, HD download is set as the default in a tiny little button - it does not even look like a button but rather it looks like that is just telling you what the movie format is in. It certainly does not look like the other buttons such as "Details, Ratings and Reviews, Related" which are round and have a little arrow pointing to them - and they are a different colour grey.

2. There is NO mention of this HDCP thing anywhere on the page. There is no warning that this movie can only be played on certain formats or is limited to the device you are downloading it to.

I would like a refund please.

It is the last time I buy anything from the iTunes store! And I am certainly going to blog and Facebook about this. It is outrageous considering how expensive the movie download was - its far cheaper to buy the DVD on the internet! Selfish Apple strikes again...

HDCP error doesn't require new cables. Trust me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.