Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new macbook pro can't find wireless printer

I have an HP1320nw, configured to run wirelessly through a linksys E1000 wireless router.

my wifes windows box can print to it ... and I can print to it via USB. But when I try and add it as an IP printer, my mac can't see it.

also ... A ping on the windows box works ... a ping on the mac times out

any ideas ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 7:30 PM

1 reply

Jul 9, 2012 11:01 PM in response to swp175

If the Ping from the Mac times out then that explains why the Mac does not see the printer. But note that you never see a printer when adding it via the Add Printer > IP pane. A printer will only be seen if it supports a broadcasting protocol like Bonjour and if it does it will appear in the Add Printer > Default pane.

So working on why the Mac cannot ping the printer, the most likely is the Mac is set to a different subnet to the printer. If you make a note of the IP address used by the Mac, the PC and the printer, they should all be set to the same IP subnet. For a home network this is typically the first three sets of numbers in the IP address. The last number is known as the network address, and each device must have a different network address.

So if the PC and printer have an IP address of 192.168.1.x, where x is the individual network address for each device, then the Mac must also be set to 192.168.1.x.

The other thing to check is the Gateway / Router address. This will be the IP address of the Linksys router and this should also be set in the Network settings on the Mac.

If the Mac is correctly set then are you able to ping the Linksys router or the PC?

new macbook pro can't find wireless printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.