Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change default printer settings in Lion?

I just got a new MacBook Pro and after installing the correct drivers and setting up my printer, it now prints 2-sided by default. How do I change this default setting?

I'm using a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.7.4, printing over AirPort to a KonicaMinolta office machine. I had this same setup with my old MBP (OS X 10.6.8) with no problems whatsoever.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 10:51 PM

Many vendors have started releasing printer drivers that have been defaulted to two-sided (duplexed). I would assume that the printer driver you are using on 10.6 is an older version compared to that being used on Lion.

There are two possible actions. One is to create a Preset that has the driver set to single sided and use this preset when you don't want duplex. The other is to modify the PPD for the printer so that it is set to single sided by default.

Making a Preset is easy. Open a document and select to print. Make the changes in the print dialog to set single sided printing and then open the Presets menu and choose to save this change for this KM printer. Then whenever you print to the KM just ensure the Preset is set to whatever name you gave to the single sided setting.

As for modifying the PPD, this is done via the CUPS web page.

To access CUPS, open Safari and type

http://127.0.0.1:631/printers

This will open the CUPS Printer administration page and will show all the printers currently configured on the Mac. For the printer that you wish to change the defaults for, click its name in the Queue Name column.

Clicking the printer name will open the printer administration page for that printer. Here you need to click on the Administration drop menu and then select Set Default Options.

This will show a new page with four menu headings (links); Options Installed, General, Banners and Policies. Select General. Scroll down the list until you find an entry like "Finishing" or something similar that shows the single sided and two sided setting. Change this from 2 sided to 1 sided.

With the option selected you then need to scroll down the list to the bottom of the page where you will see the ‘Set Default Options’ button. Click this button and you will then be presented with an authentication window. Enter the account name and password that has been set as the admin for this Mac. And then press the Log In button. You will then see another page stating that the information change is completed.

Now you can open an application and select to print and then check the output is set to single sided.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2012 10:51 PM in response to milominderbinder

Many vendors have started releasing printer drivers that have been defaulted to two-sided (duplexed). I would assume that the printer driver you are using on 10.6 is an older version compared to that being used on Lion.

There are two possible actions. One is to create a Preset that has the driver set to single sided and use this preset when you don't want duplex. The other is to modify the PPD for the printer so that it is set to single sided by default.

Making a Preset is easy. Open a document and select to print. Make the changes in the print dialog to set single sided printing and then open the Presets menu and choose to save this change for this KM printer. Then whenever you print to the KM just ensure the Preset is set to whatever name you gave to the single sided setting.

As for modifying the PPD, this is done via the CUPS web page.

To access CUPS, open Safari and type

http://127.0.0.1:631/printers

This will open the CUPS Printer administration page and will show all the printers currently configured on the Mac. For the printer that you wish to change the defaults for, click its name in the Queue Name column.

Clicking the printer name will open the printer administration page for that printer. Here you need to click on the Administration drop menu and then select Set Default Options.

This will show a new page with four menu headings (links); Options Installed, General, Banners and Policies. Select General. Scroll down the list until you find an entry like "Finishing" or something similar that shows the single sided and two sided setting. Change this from 2 sided to 1 sided.

With the option selected you then need to scroll down the list to the bottom of the page where you will see the ‘Set Default Options’ button. Click this button and you will then be presented with an authentication window. Enter the account name and password that has been set as the admin for this Mac. And then press the Log In button. You will then see another page stating that the information change is completed.

Now you can open an application and select to print and then check the output is set to single sided.

How do I change default printer settings in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.