Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Simple question I hope! I want to buy a camcorder by JVC but it uses a format called AVCHD. I believe this has to be converted before it can be used on iMovie. Can anyone tell me, in simple language, if this is so and how easy it is?

I want to buy a new camcorder and am considering one by JVC. This one, plus a few others such as Sony use AVCHD. I gather this would be need converting before any editing can be done in imovie?? I cant find a simple answer to this question. It seems strange to me that Mac dont appear to support AVCHD when so many video camera companies use it. Can anyone advise please, in simple language as I am far from a computer geek!!!

Is conversion a complicated or time consuming process and would it be simpler to fo for an MP4 type

iMac

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:36 AM

Most AVCHD camcorders can be used in iMovie without any conversion needed if they are imported directly from the camcorder.

When you hear someone mention that you must convert AVCHD to use in iMovie, it is usually because they removed the files from the camcorder and only removed part of the files and folders. You need all of them to import to iMovie.

However, you should check to see if the camcorder you are choosing will work in iMovie. Here is a list of compatible camcorders.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2012 3:36 AM in response to Hump45

Most AVCHD camcorders can be used in iMovie without any conversion needed if they are imported directly from the camcorder.

When you hear someone mention that you must convert AVCHD to use in iMovie, it is usually because they removed the files from the camcorder and only removed part of the files and folders. You need all of them to import to iMovie.

However, you should check to see if the camcorder you are choosing will work in iMovie. Here is a list of compatible camcorders.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US

Jul 10, 2012 6:04 AM in response to Hump45

It takes a while for Apple to test new models.

If the JVC is a new model that is a better version of their old product line, chances are it will work. Companies like JVC are aware that many of their customers use Macs. You really have to be careful of models made before 2008, before the AVCHD standard was popular. To be certain, contact JVC.

The other thing to be aware of is that some manufacturers are offering 60P settings for their cameras. 60P will not import into iMovie without some conversion. It is mainly useful if you need to shoot some very high quality slow motion. But most cameras that shoot 60P can be set to shoot 30P or 30i, which works fine.

Simple question I hope! I want to buy a camcorder by JVC but it uses a format called AVCHD. I believe this has to be converted before it can be used on iMovie. Can anyone tell me, in simple language, if this is so and how easy it is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.