4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 6:23 AM by Hump45
Hump45 Level 1 Level 1

I want to buy a new camcorder and am considering one by JVC. This one, plus a few others such as Sony use AVCHD. I gather this would be need converting before any editing can be done in imovie?? I cant find a simple answer to this question. It seems strange to me that Mac dont appear to support AVCHD when so many video camera companies use it. Can anyone advise please, in simple language as I am far from a computer geek!!!

Is conversion a complicated or time consuming process and would it be simpler to fo for an MP4 type

iMac
Solved by AppleMan1958 on Jul 10, 2012 6:04 AM Solved

It takes a while for Apple to test new models.

If the JVC is a new model that is a better version of their old product line, chances are it will work. Companies like JVC are aware that many of their customers use Macs. You really have to be careful of models made before 2008, before the AVCHD standard was popular. To be certain, contact JVC.

The other thing to be aware of is that some manufacturers are offering 60P settings for their cameras. 60P will not import into iMovie without some conversion. It is mainly useful if you need to shoot some very high quality slow motion. But most cameras that shoot 60P can be set to shoot 30P or 30i, which works fine.

Reply by AppleMan1958 on Jul 10, 2012 3:36 AM Helpful

Most AVCHD camcorders can be used in iMovie without any conversion needed if they are imported directly from the camcorder.

When you hear someone mention that you must convert AVCHD to use in iMovie, it is usually because they removed the files from the camcorder and only removed part of the files and folders. You need all of them to import to iMovie.

However, you should check to see if the camcorder you are choosing will work in iMovie. Here is a list of compatible camcorders.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US

Reply by Hump45 on Jul 10, 2012 6:23 AM Helpful

Great. Thank you for all that, now clear!

All replies

• AppleMan1958 Level 7 Level 7

Most AVCHD camcorders can be used in iMovie without any conversion needed if they are imported directly from the camcorder.

When you hear someone mention that you must convert AVCHD to use in iMovie, it is usually because they removed the files from the camcorder and only removed part of the files and folders. You need all of them to import to iMovie.

However, you should check to see if the camcorder you are choosing will work in iMovie. Here is a list of compatible camcorders.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US

• Hump45 Level 1 Level 1

thats very helpful, thanks but..........why are some cameras not compatible with imovie? What is ity that make them so. One of the cameras we are looking at is new and not listed so it would be interesting to know WHY they are not compatible

• AppleMan1958 Level 7 Level 7

It takes a while for Apple to test new models.

If the JVC is a new model that is a better version of their old product line, chances are it will work. Companies like JVC are aware that many of their customers use Macs. You really have to be careful of models made before 2008, before the AVCHD standard was popular. To be certain, contact JVC.

The other thing to be aware of is that some manufacturers are offering 60P settings for their cameras. 60P will not import into iMovie without some conversion. It is mainly useful if you need to shoot some very high quality slow motion. But most cameras that shoot 60P can be set to shoot 30P or 30i, which works fine.

• Hump45 Level 1 Level 1

Great. Thank you for all that, now clear!