Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just changed Domain Name, so what do I need to do now?

hi all, I am rather new here with servers, and i had one mac mini server setup and working using a domain name, and now that's changing (where the static IP address will not). So I am wondering if there is a tutorial on what to fix inside of the server to make everything right again, ie. DNS. I suppose I start with hostname, but are there a bunch of little gotchas as well? thx so much for your help!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4),  No more PCs, finally!  FCS+FCPX

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:32 AM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2012 3:42 AM in response to coocooforcocoapuffs

DNS is always first. Change your DNS first and test it using nslookup or dig.

Once your DNS is changed, then use the changeip command line tool. Stop all services that you can. Then the easiest way to use it is to run this first:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

This will give you a result telling you that there is a name (or IP, or both) mismatch and suggest to you the exact command to run to correct this. Simple add a sudo in from of the suggested command and run it. This may prompt for some additional passwords, particularly if you set up an OD Master. Follow the prompts.

When complete, rerun the sudo changeip -checkhostname command to ensure that everything is reporting back correctly. And while not technically required, I generally will reboot the machine and then run the -checkhostname a third time to make sure everything stuck.

Jul 10, 2012 3:57 AM in response to Strontium90

Wow, this is great, just what I needed, thx so much. I do have an OD master and I noticed that the replica (mini2) as it sits now has the wrong name as it shows up in the OD Master settings. Do I have to go thru making a new replica, or does it all get sorted using the above procedure on both boxes?

On certs, I had not purchased an SSL yet, but I do have those push certs... I guess I just generate new ones in server.app yes?

Well, thx again!

Just changed Domain Name, so what do I need to do now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.