Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete xcode/iBooks Author from trashcan?

A while back these two programs stopped working, so I ended up deleting these. However since then they have been stuck in my trashcan. When i try to empty the trashcan an alert box appears showing the progress. But after 30 sec/1min the mac freezes and i can't do anything. I've tryed secure removal and unlocking the files through the terminal window, but nothing seems to work...

I found a program called Trash It which suposedly does the trick, but I shouldnt need to install an app to empty my trashcan, should I?

Any Ideas?

Anders

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:48 AM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Mr.Koed

You have wider problems at work here. Have you done this yet, in Terminal?

sudo chown -R [your_username] .Trash

where you replace [your_username] with the name of your Home folder/User account name (also remove the square bracekts).

Press 'return' and enter your password when prompted (your keypresses will not be echoed to the screen, so type carefully)

It won't delete anything, but it will set the proper permissions for your Trash folder.

After executing this command, try empting the trash in the normal way.

Can't delete xcode/iBooks Author from trashcan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.