Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hide/Remove "App Store..." from Apple Menu

Hello, does anyone know how to hide/remove the "App Store..." from the Apple menu? The picture below shows excatly what I'm talking about:

User uploaded file

Thank you.

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 5:27 AM

You can't take it out of the menu.

You can drag it off the dock, and you can hide the App in your Applications folder with a bit of Terminal magic, but removing it from the menu....no way, I'm afraid!

9 replies

Jul 10, 2012 5:42 AM in response to Morgan R

Morgan R wrote:

but even with it hidden, the App Store.app still opens when the menu option above is selected.

Yes, of course. That's programmed right into the core of the system. No way round it.

If you're worried about other users on your mac, you can set up a separate account and enable parental controls and disable the App store, but that's about it.

Jul 10, 2012 6:18 AM in response to softwater

Actually, hiding the application in the Finder DOES stop the application from launching.

I swear it didn't do this last week! I just tried it because of Shootist007 comment. So yeah, simply hiding the application using the command below "disables" App Store... menu item.

sudo mv /Applications/App\ Store.app /Applications/.App\ Store.app

I wrote on article on why this works here.

Morgan

Jun 4, 2015 7:56 PM in response to Morgan R

I ran into this problem in 10.10.3.

You need to edit this file:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.fram ework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/StandardMenus.nib/objects.xib

Look for a block similar to this (On 10.10.3, it is called 'App Store...'):

<object class="IBCarbonMenuItem" id="221">

<string name="title">Mac OS X Software...</string>

<ostype name="command">soft</ostype>

</object>

You used to be able to add '<boolean name="hidden">TRUE</boolean>' after the '<string name="title">Mac OS X Software...</string>' line. That would hide it in the menu, but this no longer works in 10.10.3 for some strange reason.

Instead, note the IBCarbonMenuItem id number. In the above example it is 221. It's the same id number in 10.10.3 as well. Now instead, look for a reference tag containing this id. It should look like '<reference idRef="221"/>'. There will be a whole list of reference tags and they act like indices for menu items. You can delete this line or comment it out with xml comment syntax. Ex: '<!-- <reference idRef="221"/> -->' . That will remove it from the menu.

Hide/Remove "App Store..." from Apple Menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.