Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP PLEASE! Export Aperture 1 Library and Import to Aperture 3? Or another way to transfer files WITH changes into new MacBook Pro?

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a new MacBook pro with Retina display, to better manage Aperture and Photoshop. I took the advice of the genius (and after spending all night messing with permissions, etc.), opted out of using Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant and decided to transfer my files manually (as the two systems weren't merging properly the first time -- it was a giant mess). Long story short, I tried to transfer everything from my previous MacBook (operating on 10.5.8 with Aperture 1), and Aperture 3 couldn't handle it. It was crashing, and crashing so badly that NO button could be activated in the program (I FINALLY got Aperture working by disabling previews, and by moving from a managed library to a referenced library).

I initially dragged and dropped all photos from my previous MacBook to my external, and imported. I obviously lost folders, edit history and any other information that I needed to know what edits had been done on the file. Additionally, any movie that had been imported into Aperture was corrupt (the file was not transferring over correctly). I searched and searched for different methods, and finally found that I could export each project from my original MacBook as a "Library" and consolidate masters, or not, etc. I took the time and did this for each project. When I went to import these into Aperture 3, it said I was not able to because the libraries were from a previous version of Aperture.

Is there any way to bypass this? Or another way to transfer my projects? I understand I won't be able to do this for my entire library... but I'm wondering if there's any way to transfer my changes made, projects and details from Aperture 1 to Aperture 3? (and for those who might pose upgrading my original MacBook as an option, I cannot. It's too old. I think the best I could uprade to is Aperture 2, IF i can update the OS. Though, I definitely don't think I should be forced to do that since I've aleady re-invested in a new computer, AND had to re-buy Aperture for the new one.

Any/all advice is VERY much appreciated, as I really want to move forward and FINALLY start appreciating this program and computer (i.e. my investment) and move forward business wise. 🙂 Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:25 AM

12 replies

Jul 10, 2012 7:39 PM in response to lindsayfrombc

I have tried to upgrade my Aperture on my 2008 MacBook, but apparently it's the most up to date version (at 3.1.2) and have exported each of my projects as "Library's", so as to import them onto my new MBP (with version 3.3.1). However, when I attempt to import a "Library" I receive the error: "the Library could not be imported because it is from an out of date version of Aperture 3. Please upgrade the library to the latest version of Aperture 3 and try again."

Does anyone have any advice here? Just trying to get my photos from one MacBook to the other so I can start using my new machine! Thank you!

Jul 10, 2012 10:29 PM in response to lindsayfrombc

Hi Lindsay,

I will take a look into this in the morning. Just got home from a major education in local politics... But right off the bat, I would say there is no easy way. I just upggraded one library from Aperture 2 to Apreture 3 that was a Referenced library. It has taken over a month to get it right. Going from 1 to 3 will be difficult. Also, I did not do the upgrade until I upgraded the computer. 16MB Ram iMac i7 with 3.4Ghz processor and it was still painful...

Jul 10, 2012 10:54 PM in response to txinfl

Hi Jack,

Thanks for responding (as it seems as though no one else has been able to provide any insight as of yet)! Not sure if you saw my recent post, but the version of Aperture on the 2008 MacBook has been upgraded to 3.1.2 (not sure how; I bought it in 2009, but only have OS X 10.5.8... which apparently can't house 3.1.2 of Aperture, but hey, like many other anomalies i'm encountering, I'm no longer surprised!). I am unable to upgrade it any further, as it warns me that my OS X does not fit the requirements. I exported the projects as libraries; however, like I posted before, apparently these are from too old of a version for the new Aperture (3.3.1) to handle and import.

It's getting to the point where I'd almost pay to upgrade the OS X on my previous MacBook (10.5.8) to something newer in order to THEN update Aperture to a newer version; however, my previous MacBook simply cannot handle this (the specs are awful -- hence my decision to save up and upgrade to the newest MBP with Retina).

I've spent hours upon hours transferring files, libraries as projects, previews, versions, even masters (though, apparently some of them aren't accessible?) with no luck. I've rebuilt the library and reprocessed everything. And this is all after having to return one MBP already since Aperture 3.3.1 is glitch-y as it is, and froze everything for having a "managed library". So, now that I know that I have to deal with a referenced library in Aperture... I just need to actually transfer my previous library to my new one (hopefully WITH adjustments since these are years worth of photos and work).

Again, any help is appreciated. I've lost enough sleep, time, and vision health over this at this point. 😝

Also, I know Migration Assistant is an option, I was told that it wouldn't work properly anyway because of the different operating systems, and the potential for problems.

Jul 11, 2012 12:28 AM in response to lindsayfrombc

Lindsay, have you tried to open your exported libraries in Aperture 3.3 to upgrade them before importing them into your new Aperture Library?

If not, then double-click the library that you want to upgrade, or ctrl-click and select "Open with Aperture". This should upgrade the libraries to Aperture 3.3. format.

If this stll does not succeed, try to rebuild the library with the "Aperture Library First Aid Tools":

Hold down the ⌥⌘-key combination, while you double click the library and select: "Rebuild Database" from the pop-up panel.

I hope, this will work. If not, post back.

Léonie

Jul 11, 2012 9:02 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, my computer has been on all night exporting versions (as I have been desperately trying to think of options to retrieve the full sized, edited images). It's half-way there, so once that finishes and I get home from the office this evening I'll try upgrading the libraries first (I assumed that it would automatically upgrade it if that was an option, since the warning message directed me back to updating my version of Aperture).

Hopefully that works!

I have already used the three Aperture Library first-aid tools and have rebuilt the database (on the original MacBook with Aperture 3.1.2). Are you suggesting that I rebuild the exported library on the new MBP with Aperture 3.3.1?

Thanks again for all of your help! You have no idea how much I appreciate advice right now!

Jul 11, 2012 8:11 PM in response to léonie

Leonie,

Thank you SO MUCH! I just got back from the office. Checked, and after a day and a half, my old MacBook had finally finished exporting versions (many with errors). With room still available on my external, I did what you suggested. I had deleted the library's I had created before (because I assumed they were out of date after that error popped up), so I opted to try ONE project as a test; exported it as a library, copied it to my external and then opened it with Aperture 3.3.1 on the new MBP (as opposed to trying to import). And... IT WORKED!!! 😀 I am overjoyed right now!

Now, my only question left is, once I have updated all of these libraries, how do I import them all into the main library while keeping them "referenced" as opposed to "managed"?

Thank you again!

Jul 12, 2012 12:59 AM in response to lindsayfrombc

I am glad it worked for you.

Now, my only question left is, once I have updated all of these libraries, how do I import them all into the main library while keeping them "referenced" as opposed to "managed"?

If you import a referenced library, the images will be automatically imported as referenced; so that should be no problem.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 12, 2012 10:27 AM in response to lindsayfrombc

I have always found it helpful to keep in mind the following:

- Every Image has a Master an Original

- Aperture keeps track of the location of the Original

- - the Original can be inside the Library package (a Managed Original), or

- - the Original can be on a locally mounted drive outside the Library (a Referenced Original).

The point being, that each Image's Original is either Referenced or Managed. Libraries are neither Referenced nor Managed. Libraries contain Images. Each Image has an Original. Each Original is either Managed or Referenced.

HTH.

Jul 12, 2012 10:37 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby,

your summary on the terms "referenced" and "manged" is brilliant as always and I wholeheartedly agree. But I still would like to use the terms "refererenced library" and "managed library" as convenient shortcuts for Aperture libraries, that are homogenious in the sense, that all original files have the same file status - all originals are referenced, or all are managed.

Would that be problematic for you?

Léonie

Jul 12, 2012 10:50 AM in response to léonie

Not at all 😎 . In my experience, though, every casual user who mentions "managed Library" or "referenced Library" is under the mistaken and sometimes misleading impression that it is, in fact, Libraries that are either Managed or Referenced. Since the concept of Managed/Referenced is fundamental to Aperture, I personally judge it important to point out this small oversight. It is a teaching moment -- all the more useful because it comes prior to the misconception having led to a problem.

The shortcut lingo is useful when it is understood. I don't think it is widely understood.

Jul 12, 2012 11:33 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

What Kirby said.

Part of the problem is that Aperture unfortunately defaults to a managed-originals approach. In my case I diligently try to always have all originals be referenced, even when they are on the same mass storage drive as the Library. However if after a year I go look at the Library I usually find some managed-masters have crept in. Go figure.

-Allen

HELP PLEASE! Export Aperture 1 Library and Import to Aperture 3? Or another way to transfer files WITH changes into new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.