Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export Dialog Defaults to "Custom Name with Index"

When I export original image files from Aperture 3.3.1, the dialog defaults to "Custom Name with Index," which is never what I want. I want "Original File Name." If I remember, that was the default when I first installed Aperture.

How can I change Aperture's behavior so that the dialog defaults to "Original File Name," so I don't have to switch the menu every time I export?

Thanks for any help.

Aperture 3

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:35 AM

9 replies

Jul 10, 2012 12:45 PM in response to William Lloyd

Yes, that's exactly how I would expect it to work. It does keep "Original File Name" every time I use the dialog until I quit, but once I relaunch Aperture, it again defaults to "Custom Name with Index."

And I can't see any way I can set a default in that export dialog -- not for Export -> Original... (I think there are probably presets for Export -> Version... though.)

I'm stumped, unless it's just a corrupted preferences file...

Jul 10, 2012 12:54 PM in response to joeholmes

Maybe your Aperture User Preferences are corrupted in some way. I'd try to remove the preferences to the Desktop to force Aperture to create a new preference file and see, if it then remembers your last choice.

• Quit Aperture.
  • In the Finder choose Go to folder from the Go menu.
  • Type
    ~/Library/Preferences
    in the "Go to the folder" field. Press the Go button.
  • Remove the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" file from the Preferences folder.

Then try again to export and see, if Aperture remembers your setting.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 10, 2012 1:31 PM in response to joeholmes

For those following along, you can export your command-key settings at Aperture -> Commands -> Export.

You can export your import presets from within the Import pane, by selecting "Edit" from the Metada Presets menu, and then clicking the gear menu in the bottom right of the resulting dialog. Pretty well buried, isn't it?

I found no other settings that could be exported.

Jul 10, 2012 1:43 PM in response to joeholmes

Presets and the Keyboard customization are stored in separate plist files. You shouldn't have to export or recreate them.

If you are comfortable, you should open a copy of "com.apple.Aperture.plist" and take a look. A lot of what's there is stuff you'll end up rebuilding just by using Aperture (program and window states, metadata MRU lists, etc.).

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Export Dialog Defaults to "Custom Name with Index"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.