9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 2:02 PM by Kirby Krieger
joeholmes Level 1 Level 1
expertise.icloud
iCloud

When I export original image files from Aperture 3.3.1, the dialog defaults to "Custom Name with Index," which is never what I want. I want "Original File Name." If I remember, that was the default when I first installed Aperture.

How can I change Aperture's behavior so that the dialog defaults to "Original File Name," so I don't have to switch the menu every time I export?

Thanks for any help.

Aperture 3
Solved by léonie on Jul 10, 2012 12:54 PM Solved
Maybe your Aperture User Preferences are corrupted in some way. I'd try to remove the preferences to the Desktop to force Aperture to create a new preference file and see, if it then remembers your last choice. Quit Aperture.In the Finder choose Go to folder from the Go menu.Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field. Press the Go button. Remove the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" file from the Preferences folder.Then try again to export and see, if Aperture remembers your setting. RegardsLéonie
  • William Lloyd Level 7 Level 7

Hmmm.  If I select "original file name" when exporting a master, it remembers that setting for my next export.

So there shouldn't be anything you need to set, I don't think.

Are you applying an export preset that is setting the default filename somehow?

• joeholmes Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.icloud
    iCloud

Yes, that's exactly how I would expect it to work. It does keep "Original File Name" every time I use the dialog until I quit, but once I relaunch Aperture, it again defaults to "Custom Name with Index."

And I can't see any way I can set a default in that export dialog -- not for Export -> Original... (I think there are probably presets for Export -> Version... though.)

I'm stumped, unless it's just a corrupted preferences file...

• léonie Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Maybe your Aperture User Preferences are corrupted in some way. I'd try to remove the preferences to the Desktop to force Aperture to create a new preference file and see, if it then remembers your last choice.

• Quit Aperture.
    • In the Finder choose Go to folder from the Go menu.
    • Type
      ~/Library/Preferences
      in the "Go to the folder" field. Press the Go button.
    • Remove the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" file from the Preferences folder.

Then try again to export and see, if Aperture remembers your setting.

Regards

Léonie

expertise.icloud
    iCloud

****, the export works fine when I start with fresh preferences. But in a way, that's a drag. I've got hundreds of customizations -- a whole set of command keys, background colors, presets for import, etc. etc. I'll have to recreate them all! I guess I'll get started...

Thanks!

expertise.icloud
    iCloud

For those following along, you can export your command-key settings at Aperture -> Commands -> Export.

You can export your import presets from within the Import pane, by selecting "Edit" from the Metada Presets menu, and then clicking the gear menu in the bottom right of the resulting dialog. Pretty well buried, isn't it?

I found no other settings that could be exported.

expertise.icloud
    iCloud

AND though you've imported your command-key settings, you still have to open the Command settings dialog (Aperture -> Customize...) and select the imported settings in the upper left corner menu.

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6

Presets and the Keyboard customization are stored in separate plist files.  You shouldn't have to export or recreate them.

If you are comfortable, you should open a copy of "com.apple.Aperture.plist" and take a look.  A lot of what's there is stuff you'll end up rebuilding just by using Aperture (program and window states, metadata MRU lists, etc.).

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

• léonie Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Removing the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" should suffice, you don't have to remove the presets.

I see, Kirby already said that

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6

You can see what the other plist files are, and what's in them, at ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture.