Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail spinning wheel

In Mail for OS10.7, one of my 3 mailboxes is AOL. I've had a spinning wheel at its "Inbox" and no new mail to it since May. Any suggestions how to fix it? If I delete that mailbox and re-enter it, will I lose the previous emails? mattcs@aol.com

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 2:19 PM

Is that account POP or IMAP?

In Mail's Window Menu, choose Connection Doctor, any red dots for status, if so what is the message?

Then click the Show Details button & Check again.

Also open Mail's Activity window, any clues there?

4 replies

Jul 10, 2012 2:33 PM in response to mattcs

I can't speak in unequivocal terms here but if your e-mail account(s) is an IMAP account there should be no problem removing it and adding back because an IMAP account is in sync with the ESP hosting it.

----

Spinning beach balls in Mail, I would do a command-alt-zero to bring up the activity window.

You may want to eventually force quit mail, I do sometimes too don't worry. After doing that though, launch mail and perhaps rebuild your mailboxes.

-Restart your mac.

-launch ONLY mail - Quit other apps while testing

-does the spinning beachball persist? give it a few minutes to see

-If it persists and you have the activity window it mail reveal something stuck in queue and that could be useful to know about.

Sorry if repeated some things that BDAqua mentioned (he's too good), I was just typing away and too lazy to edit now or too tired rather (late at night here)

report back please.

Jul 12, 2012 2:16 PM in response to mattcs

Hello Mattcs

I am really sorry but I must have misunderstood your original post. Although I provided some good answers, your issue is as you state:

I've had a spinning wheel at its "Inbox" and no new mail to it since May

Here I believe you are descibing what sort of looks like a spinning cogwheel. See the picture below…

User uploaded file

Thank you for noting this as helpful for the two of us who lent a helping hand, it's good for the community but is the issue resolved yet?

Mail spinning wheel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.