Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help needed to troubleshoot why my MacBook Pro repeatedly drops wifi connection

We run Mac & PC laptops, iPhone, iPad on occasion, with ATT DSL, 2Wire 2701HG-B Router. First 6 months of enjoying my Mac, no trouble. Then things started to go south. Been dealing with this problem of dropped internet connection for over a year. Got a new router--the 2Wire 2701, finally got a new phone line put in from the outside to inside. It now seems like the MacBook Pro drops the signal far more than the PC. It seems worse when I'm at my desk, which is only a room away from the router. It can drop the signal about every 3rd or 4th click on the internet. The Networks Diagnostics will show red buttons on the Server and Internet. Been testing other areas of the house, and find it seems better in these other areas, dropping far less. Hard to tell, because the problem comes and goes, like the sun. iPhone has dropped connection on occasion. iPad has occasional slow download of YouTube. Neither of those are troubling.

I tried checking with the Airport Utility, but it tells me it can't find any Airport. I obviously understand very, very little of this. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:05 PM

Which os are you using?

Change your router channel. Sometimes this is all you will have to do.

Power cycling the router. Read the router's user manual or contact their tech support for instructions.

System Preferences/Internet & Network/Network

Unlock the padlock

Locations: Automatic

Highlight Airport

Click the Assist Me button

In the popup window click the Diagnostic button.

System Preferences/Network- Unlock padlock. Highlight Airport. Network Name-select your name. Click on the Advanced button. Airport/Preferred Networks-delete all that is not your network.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined." Click the OK button and lock the padlock. Restart your computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1920 Mac OS: How to release and renew a DHCP lease

No internet connection (wireless)

Check to see if an extra entry is present in the DNS Tab for your wireless connection (System Preferences/Network/Airport/Advanced/DNS).

Delete all extra entries that you find.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined."

Other resources to check into:

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues in OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

Netspot

How to diagnose and resolve Wi-Fi slow-downs

Pv6 troubleshooting

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Solving problems with connecting to the Internet

What Affects Wireless Internet?

Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2012 3:05 PM in response to NanaCA

Which os are you using?

Change your router channel. Sometimes this is all you will have to do.

Power cycling the router. Read the router's user manual or contact their tech support for instructions.

System Preferences/Internet & Network/Network

Unlock the padlock

Locations: Automatic

Highlight Airport

Click the Assist Me button

In the popup window click the Diagnostic button.

System Preferences/Network- Unlock padlock. Highlight Airport. Network Name-select your name. Click on the Advanced button. Airport/Preferred Networks-delete all that is not your network.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined." Click the OK button and lock the padlock. Restart your computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1920 Mac OS: How to release and renew a DHCP lease

No internet connection (wireless)

Check to see if an extra entry is present in the DNS Tab for your wireless connection (System Preferences/Network/Airport/Advanced/DNS).

Delete all extra entries that you find.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined."

Other resources to check into:

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues in OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

Netspot

How to diagnose and resolve Wi-Fi slow-downs

Pv6 troubleshooting

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Solving problems with connecting to the Internet

What Affects Wireless Internet?

Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2012 7:06 PM in response to CMCSK

Thank you much for replying, and offering suggestions. I am running OS X 10.6.8. All the software is up-to-date. In researching today, I came upon an ATT forum discussion of my exact problem. Turns out it is the modem-- the 2Wire 2701HG-B. Instructions of how to get inside of it and change it to 802.11b setting. I have done that, time will tell if that is the fix. There was also the suggestion to change the channel on the 2Wire, as you recommended, but I'll have to read up on how to do that. I'm hoping what I've done will fix it. There is also the recommend to just get another modem, so that is next up. I thank you for the links for learning about wireless connecting. It gets easier when you begin to accumulate some understanding of the jargon.

May 23, 2013 6:08 PM in response to NanaCA

This problem had driven me NUTS over the past 2 months but I think I found a solution thanks to my local Suddenlink person who knows someone at Apple.

My MacBook Pro would connect everywhere but my condo. I tried everything listed on the Internet and still the Internet came on for 10 seconds...then dropped. I'd get my mail, but then nothing.

Try this:

Library

Preferences

System Configuration

Delete this folder and restart.

The first time this didn't work, so I took some advice from others having problems

Go to network settings and click advanced. Delete the network name.

Turn off wifi

Go to Applications/Utilities

Look under keychain and delete anything to do with your network name

Turn off your computer (not reboot yet)

Turn off modem

Wait 3 minutes

Turn on modem

Turn on computer

Turn on wifi and look for your network, which should be there and add the password when prompted.

As a side note, I installed logmein on my computer just before this started to happen. I eventually deleted it but the icon on the top of my screen wouldn't go away. When I finally got rid of it my Internet worked on the next bootup. It might be coincidence. I really don't know but I will not be installing that program again!!!

Good luck. I know how frustrating this is. Hopefully it will still work tomorrow!

May 27, 2013 5:48 PM in response to mammothsuziq

I'm back...I answered the above mammothsuziq about MacBook Pro losing wifi. It worked for a few days, then it dropped. I was frustrated as you are if you are reading this. This time I noticed the logmein icon on the top of my screen had reappeared. I used the following command from a terminal window (search terminal in spotlight) and typed the following: launchctl remove com.logmein.logmeingui My wifi is back!

If you have that icon or logmein, you might find your problem there. How it came back I'll never know. I searched my computer for it, but it's not there.

Good luck. I feel your frustation!

Help needed to troubleshoot why my MacBook Pro repeatedly drops wifi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.