Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Ipad would be better for college, and web develper major

I can't decide between the two and three ipad wise. I've been Ipad two was the way to go but i'm still unsure. I'm going to college in the fall, for web developing major not sure what size or which ipad to get. Any help?

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 2:42 PM

8 replies

Jul 10, 2012 3:19 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

iPads will not work for doing web development.

Well, that depends on exactly what you want to do. There are many web development, code editing, FTP, programming, MySQL apps available for the iPad, including the recently released Diet Coda. http://panic.com/dietcoda/

Although an iPad wouldn't be enough on its own for full web development, they can certainly be used for certain tasks (especially on-the-go quick edits), and are invaluable for helping create iPad optimised websites.

Jul 10, 2012 4:23 PM in response to Kumiko Akatsuki

Get a computer to do web development. Web development is not just html. There are many IDEs that will only work on a computer, and some will only work on a specific brand. IOS development for example can only be done on an Apple computer. .Net development can only be done in Windows environments.

Figure out what your course requirements, scripting languages, IDEs, database requirements, etc. are before thinking you can develop on an iPad.

Which Ipad would be better for college, and web develper major

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.