Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New To Mac

Is this normal for a Mac to use this much RAM? I am brand new to Mac so I do not have much experience with it. When I use Xcode along with Safari it goes down to under 100MB of free RAM.

I have a Windows 7 computer that also has 4GB of RAM and only goes above 2GB when I am running VMWare and that is with 8 chrome tabs. In safari in this screenshot I have 5 open. I am comparing to 7 and am curious if it' normal, thanks.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Mid 2012

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:19 PM

Yes, this is normal. OS X requires 2 GBs leaving you with 2 GBs for applications and other software. You might consider installing more RAM. However, the memory management system is unlikely to ever truly run out of memory unless you run far too many applications concurrently.

About OS X Memory Management and Usage

Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

Memory Management in Mac OS X

Performance Guidelines- Memory Management in Mac OS X

A detailed look at memory usage in OS X

Understanding top output in the Terminal

The amount of available RAM for applications is the sum of Free RAM and Inactive RAM. This will change as applications are opened and closed or change from active to inactive status. The Swap figure represents an estimate of the total amount of swap space required for VM if used, but does not necessarily indicate the actual size of the existing swap file. If you are really in need of more RAM that would be indicated by how frequently the system uses VM. If you open the Terminal and run the top command at the prompt you will find information reported on Pageins () and Pageouts (). Pageouts () is the important figure. If the value in the parentheses is 0 (zero) then OS X is not making instantaneous use of VM which means you have adequate physical RAM for the system with the applications you have loaded. If the figure in parentheses is running positive and your hard drive is constantly being used (thrashing) then you need more physical RAM.

Adding RAM only makes it possible to run more programs concurrently. It doesn't speed up the computer nor make games run faster. What it can do is prevent the system from having to use disk-based VM when it runs out of RAM because you are trying to run too many applications concurrently or using applications that are extremely RAM dependent. It will improve the performance of applications that run mostly in RAM or when loading programs.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2012 3:19 PM in response to thatotherdude24

Yes, this is normal. OS X requires 2 GBs leaving you with 2 GBs for applications and other software. You might consider installing more RAM. However, the memory management system is unlikely to ever truly run out of memory unless you run far too many applications concurrently.

About OS X Memory Management and Usage

Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

Memory Management in Mac OS X

Performance Guidelines- Memory Management in Mac OS X

A detailed look at memory usage in OS X

Understanding top output in the Terminal

The amount of available RAM for applications is the sum of Free RAM and Inactive RAM. This will change as applications are opened and closed or change from active to inactive status. The Swap figure represents an estimate of the total amount of swap space required for VM if used, but does not necessarily indicate the actual size of the existing swap file. If you are really in need of more RAM that would be indicated by how frequently the system uses VM. If you open the Terminal and run the top command at the prompt you will find information reported on Pageins () and Pageouts (). Pageouts () is the important figure. If the value in the parentheses is 0 (zero) then OS X is not making instantaneous use of VM which means you have adequate physical RAM for the system with the applications you have loaded. If the figure in parentheses is running positive and your hard drive is constantly being used (thrashing) then you need more physical RAM.

Adding RAM only makes it possible to run more programs concurrently. It doesn't speed up the computer nor make games run faster. What it can do is prevent the system from having to use disk-based VM when it runs out of RAM because you are trying to run too many applications concurrently or using applications that are extremely RAM dependent. It will improve the performance of applications that run mostly in RAM or when loading programs.

Jul 10, 2012 5:00 PM in response to Kappy

This may sound kind of weird but I don't understand your long post about memory consumption.....is it possible for you to dumb it down even more? Sorry.

Based on what you saw should I add more RAM or am I good? I have seen the free go below 100MB and like I said I have been a Windows user my whole life and am a student majoring in Network Admin. I am trying to decide if it's worth keeping the MBP or returning it and getting a Windows laptop.... thoughts on this also if you don't mind?

I appreciate all the help.

Jul 10, 2012 5:10 PM in response to Kappy

Looks like Kappy and I can take off on a debate on energy consumption of ram...but for no real purpose in the real world. I still maintain that for the typical user the additional energy use of a reasonable amount of unused memory will not be noticable in battery charge life. You can always take that to extremes but I really can't see there being a real measurable affect for most users.

But we can have some entertaining academic discussions on this subject 🙂

New To Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.