Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibook g4 display is blinking, FIX? 

Today I started to see on my ibook g4's display is starting to blink. Is there a fix for this with replacing the display or taking apart the ibook g4? !

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.2), iBook g4 2005

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 5:19 PM

14 replies

Jul 10, 2012 8:15 PM in response to Lester1234

Is the display blinking both when running from the battery and when running while plugged into the charging adapter?

If it just happens while running from the battery, then the battery could be the issue here, too.

Otherwise, there may be an intermittent cable issue with one or more of the display cables. Sometimes the various cables get pinched in the hinge, causing intermittent display issues. If adjusting the angle of the display corrects the problem, suspect a pinched cable.

Jul 11, 2012 1:09 AM in response to Lester1234

Is that a blink physically where the screen goes on and off or a flicker of dimmer/brighter back light?

If it's physically going on and off for a second then it sounds to me like a power issue with the adapter or battery(as described by Ronda) or a video cable issue.

If it's where the screen becomes dimmer for a second and then brighter, it could indicate a problem with the inverter board.

If it where the screen graphics become distort (Like an old TV being tuned in) then that could well indicate the first signs of a over heating problem with the graphics adapter.

Jul 11, 2012 5:32 AM in response to Lester1234

Hello,

First of all, you don't move the iBook in anyway to cause this flicker? (I am assuming not)

Second have you tried to use the F1 and F2 keys to dim the screen to see if the lowest settings stops the flicker?

That looks to me like the screen invertor board needs replacement and if you do find the flicker to stop when you place it on a very low dim settings, then that would more or less confirm the board needs replacement.

When the invertor boards on these start to go, they only get worse. So replacing it sooner than later is best.

MacBook from 2006 - 2008 are known for invertors problems, but unlike the iBook are not that easy to replace.

With your iBook it will take some skill to remove the screen casing to replace the invertor, however there is an art to fixing these back together. If not done correctly then your iBook may fail to close correctly.

They don't cost to much to buy online.

ibook g4 display is blinking, FIX? 

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.