Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hp x2301 - No DVI Signal Monitor

I have a macbook Air that I want to connect to an HP x2301 monitor
I plugged the screen to my iMac using the right adapter and the DVI cable provided with the screen.
I see that the macbook recognizes the monitor no problem, but the monitor keeps saying no signal.
Ive tried replacing with another DVI cable same issue.

I know that the adapter from mac and the macbook are working perfectly since I have the same setup at the office with a different monitor (an HP but not the same model)

With a PC using VGA, monitor has no problem and works perfectly.

Conclusion: Monitor has an issue with Macbook.
Now it looks like this issue is frequent with macbook (based on several forums). HP CS has no clue of what Im talking about.

Any suggestion?

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 6:54 PM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2012 10:22 PM in response to tiguru

My wife just bought the same monitor and is having the EXACT same issue.

I figured it was something I could easily fix by checking preferences, cables, etc.

Tried a couple different cables (DVI and HDMI) with the same problem.

I unplugged the monitor and re-plugged it into a different socket and then it came to life, looked fine (1300x768 pixel resolution I think worked).

But then the moment we put the computer to sleep the monitor and tried to wake everything up again the monitor went black again.

I'm assuming I could unplug it to reset it once again but that's crazy.

I've never seen such odd behavior with any external monitor on Mac and am quite confused.

And I've worked with PLENTY of monitors of all types on Mac and Windows.

I wish I knew what was up. I'm assuming a bum monitor for the time being since the Macbook Air is supposed to be able to drive some pretty heavy duty monitors.

She's got a mid-2011 Air with the latest Mountain Lion plus the HP x2301.

-Len

Oct 22, 2012 1:05 PM in response to tiguru

For what it's worth to those who experience the same issue, my wife eventually got it working reliably with the following workaround:

Plugin the monitor, let it go to sleep like it's not getting any input.

Then unplug the power connector at the base of the monitor and plug it back in.

When it comes back on it sees the mac and works fine until she sleeps the computer.

Weird, not good, but works.

I have a suspicion it has a bad power brick but I haven't been able to test that yet.

Also, I haven't tried it on my windows machine to see if it behaves better for some reason.

-Len

hp x2301 - No DVI Signal Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.