6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 9:03 PM by sherald92
sherald92 Level 1 (0 points)

My macbook wasn't reading my battery and couldn't be used without it's adapter, otherwise it would instantly shut down. After researching a bit, I decided to do a SMC reset. After doing so the battery icon has an X on it, but the mac isn't using an adapter and is running. I know it's not normal, but is there anything I can do about it or is it fine? Also, I've never posted on these forum or any forums like this, so I'm not sure if I need to include more information on the model and stuff.

 

Thank you in advance!


MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), early 2009
  • sig Level 8 (35,785 points)

    The battery is no good. It needs repalcement. System Profiler>Power>Battery Information. What does it say?

  • clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 (30,000 points)

    Also see this archived article from 2009 - the model you have - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1457.

     

    Clinton

  • sherald92 Level 1 (0 points)

    Battery Information:

     

      Charge Information:

      Charge remaining (mAh):    0

      Fully charged:    No

      Charging:    No

      Full charge capacity (mAh):    0

      Health Information:

      Cycle count:    0

      Battery Installed:    No

      Amperage (mA):    0

      Voltage (mV):    0

     

    And thats the thing. It's not plugged up and is still working. It has for a while.

     

    EDIT: I just saw the artlicle you posted, sorry. I'll take a look at it.

  • sig Level 8 (35,785 points)

    "Battery Installed:    No"

     

    Well there is is.

  • sherald92 Level 1 (0 points)

    Exactly, and it's been working for a while without being plugged up. It's like a zombie mac. I'm going to try the suggestions on that article and get back to you guys.

  • sherald92 Level 1 (0 points)

    So I tried everything in the article. There's still an X but now when I unplug it it's back to shutting down. Well, at least it's not a zombie-mac, so there's always that.

     

    What lead to this was I originally spilled soda on my mouse, and in an attempt to clean it I had to take out the battery. However, having no prior experience in taking out mac-batteries (and the fact that it said right there not to take it out), I think I might have damaged the plug from the battery to the computer itself.

     

    Basically, I'm an idiot.

     

    Since this computer was a gift and had been used for a while, so having no warrenty, I'm not that overly worried. However, it looks like I'm going to have to shell out some cash to get a new battery. At least until I get enought money to get a new computer, since the things pretty banged up anyway.

     

    Thanks for responding, though, guys!