Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete all of an old Mac's backups from my Time Capsule?

I have recently purchased a new Macbook Pro and used my Time Capsule to copy over the files from my iMac I wanted to keep (I didn't both with the apps, etc... just the documents, photos and music folders).

I'm going to format my old iMac clean and sell it on. I'd also like to start using my Time Capsule to backup the new MBP. But first I'd like to remove all the backup files from the TC rather than having 500 Gb of duplicated files remaining dormant as the original computer is gone (seeing as they are on the new MBP already). Given that I would have two separate computers, if I start getting low on space, then Time Machine wouldn't automatically delete the old backups of the old computer... so I just want to get rid of them.

There seems to be a number of different methods out there, each with its own warnings, etc... so I'm not sure what to do.

I don't mind reformating the TC to its original settings and starting from scratch if that's the best way, but not sure how to do that either.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:07 PM

Erasing the Time Capsule is the fastest, easiest and best way to proceed if you are willing to start over with new backups and move forward.

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click the Time Capsule icon, then click Edit in the box that appears next to the Time Capsule

Click the Disks tab at the top of the window

Click Erase Disk

The Quick Erase option will only take minute or two

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2012 9:07 PM in response to lavetta

Erasing the Time Capsule is the fastest, easiest and best way to proceed if you are willing to start over with new backups and move forward.

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click the Time Capsule icon, then click Edit in the box that appears next to the Time Capsule

Click the Disks tab at the top of the window

Click Erase Disk

The Quick Erase option will only take minute or two

How do I delete all of an old Mac's backups from my Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.