Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No free ML upgrade for peoples which have buy Lion after 13/06

Hi everyone

Can someone confirm me this ?
I have buy Lion the 15/06 thinking it will be free upgrade when Mountain Lion will coming ?

And today a forum user have tell me there will be no free upgrade for peoples wich have buy the OS accross the Store ?
Is this true ?
Thanks

Ced

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:20 PM

The free up to date program for Mountain Lion applies to people who buy new computers, not an OS. Here is the official information from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

ML is only $19.99.

21 replies

Jul 11, 2012 3:17 AM in response to fced

I don't complain about the period, i complaint about :

- peoples wich have buy computers wich include Lion after the 11/06 are eligible.

- Peoples wich have buy Lion OS on APPSTORE after the 11/06 are not eligible. (I have buy mine June 15th)

Sorry it's not normal... it's scandalous... Specially because OSX LION have lot of problems (crappy coded)

Jul 11, 2012 3:35 AM in response to fced

fced wrote:

Sorry it's not normal... it's scandalous... Specially because OSX LION have lot of problems (crappy coded)

It has been 'Normal' since I was using Classic OSs years and years and years ago. You would get an update voucher if a new OS for your Mac came out within a certain period afterwards. Exactly the same as it is now. I still have some vouchers that were not used as they were out of date when the next OS was released. Exactly the same as it is now.

And as for Craooy Code, can you please give examples of where the coding fails you in Lion? I have had not a problem on my 5 Macs with Lion and other than these forums, know not one Mac user who has had any real problem with Lion.

Looking forward to your crappy code examples so we can address them.

Thanks

Pete

Jul 11, 2012 3:54 AM in response to fced

I understand your frustration with Lion, it's crap. A beta for Mountain Lion.

That said, if I buy a new car the day before a new model is released, I wouldn't expect to get an upgrade to the new model, so I don't see why s/w is any different.

Even though you've paid $30 for Lion, I strongly advise you spend another $20 on ML. That's $50 for a proper OS - still far cheaper than Windows or earlier OS X versions.

Unlike Lion, ML is pretty good. 🙂

Jul 11, 2012 4:12 AM in response to fced

First, Lion does NOT have a lot of problems. It has a lot of CHANGES, some of which are things that some people don't like. But if you're having actual problems, you'd better figure them out and fix them before upgrading again to ML, or they're likely to get worse.

Second, I'm not sure why you think you should be entitled to a free upgrade to ML. If you purchased Lion believing it would get you a free copy of ML, you can only blame yourself for not doing any research on that topic, as that has never been Apple's policy. Further, ML is going to actually be CHEAPER than Lion, so that was a foolish strategy in the first place.

Finally, note that the combined price of Lion + ML is still less than half the price Apple used to charge for these upgrades... Leopard cost $130. So count your blessings.

Jul 11, 2012 4:15 AM in response to petermac87

The ones i have found, and notified to Apple :

- Spotlight mdworker cause my macbook pro mid 2010 (4go ram) go to 90-95% cpu even when not indexing - it empty my battery, and make the computer hot - more hot than Snow Leopard - it damage computers

- Safari : Historic pages disappear, i can't retrieve all the pages i viewed in Safari - same problem with download list (Apple + Alt +L) - after resetting Safari, bugs gone, but now after a week same problem - and sometimes it slow the entire computer - first time since OS9 i need to force reboot a computer on Macos - Impossible to install an older version of Safari (i found the solution to force install it after i discover those bugs, but we want to install what we want)

- Not a bug, but a problem - Rosetta disappeared - lot of my custommers still have PPC applications - now need an external disk to boot on it and open docs with Rosetta...

- When i open a window (like application window) it take 2-3 seconds to show the custom applications icons, during those seconds i have generic icons (problem was not here with Snow Leopard) - Even with 2Go free ram, and Cpu to 6%

- Sometimes my screen display strangely like parasite with green and other colors lines

- Font don't display correctly specially when we log on discussion.apple.com

- Not a bug but Useful functionnalities have disappeared fom Mail (search only and only in "From", "Object", "date send", "date received") - i manage lot of mailboxes with more than 4 years mails.

- Not a bug but - Useful functionnalities removed from Airport Utilities - Can't see who is connected to my Airport express born - Ok i gone to old Airport Utilitie

- Frequently the wheel is turning and turning... and need to kill and restard finder

- All of this is just in an browsing and mail use, i still not have upgraded my others workings computers to Lion, and i will never upgrade them, if Apple correct those bugs, and give us freedom to install the software we want as it should be.. probably i will upgrade to Lion... But for now, niet... Snow Leopard is more fast, more stable, more powerful...

Think a bit friends, generally Apple change the name of their system each 2 years, and now less than one year after Lion, Apple release Mountain Lion)... and they want we pay again - i think they should give to all of us free ?

For me 1 month after i buyed Lion ? don't you think there is a problem ?

Another strange thing and funny... In tags when you create an article, Lion is the only OS, wich have tags pre-written Lion_Stupid ... this mean lot of users have tagged their post with Lion_Stupid...

Have a look it's in french, but no need to talk french to understand : http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=360186

Should i continue ?

In fact, i have been amazed by all the new functionnalities of Lion (i still love the new functionnalities) really, but after using it one month, the problems i encountered disenchanted me... i discovered problems and problems... My lion is a clean install, and perfectly maintained...

ps : Petermac ? Are you working for Apple, because all the time i post here for a problem for lion, you defend it by saying you don't have problem with it... Which utilisation are you doing with your Mac ? Which sector, Which software are you using ? All the peoples i know which are working in PAO or Webdesign are still on Snow Leopard... Or may be the problems are only on the French localisation ?

ps2 : have a look here if you want to laugh a bit...

http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=360186

Ps : sorry for my poor english speaking, english is not my native language...

https://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&as_q=bugs+in+lion&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_n lo=&as_nhi=&lr=lang_en&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_ filetype=&as_rights=

http://www.google.com/#hl=fr&biw=1419&bih=764&sclient=psy-ab&q=bugs+lion&oq=bugs +lion&gs_l=hp.3..0i30l2j0i30i19j0i30.94143.95260.0.95524.9.9.0.0.0.0.373.2217.0j 2j6j1.9.0...0.0.LVZBbnOZBB0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=d3c e626e08eec7e3

http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=347080

Jul 11, 2012 4:20 AM in response to fced

Just a precision, on Snow Leopard i was not having those problems... The only problem i have found on Snow, is i have been forced to upgrade to CS5, because CS3 was not fully worked with Snow...

And of course i wil buy Mountain Lion, 30 years of Mac you can't forgot it...

Apple and me those days, are in love quarrel ... each of us are loving the other, but we expect perfection... the perfection Apple have accustom me...

Jul 11, 2012 4:35 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thomas, the screen problem happen me very few times, may be the macbook pro was hot... i don't know...

The other problem (new windows showing generic icons - and sometimes the wallpaper disapear) look like if i have an old graphic card instead of my GT330 M Nvidia... But everything is clear with Snow... If i'm still on Lion, it's because i love new functionnalities, and i don 't want to re-install Snow Leopard to go on Mountain next week (i was persuaded Mountain release was today)

Jul 11, 2012 4:34 AM in response to fced

Sounds like you system is messed up pretty bad. I don't see those problems on any of the four Macs I have it installed on.

I don't even see the Rosetta problem since I abandonded old PPC code years ago.

Mail searches the whole message by default. It will only categorize the search if you select one of the options to categorize the search on. You don't have to select a category.

I did, once, look at the users connected to my WiFi network.

Apple has gone to a annual refresh of the system to match the same timeline for iOS. It's not a conspiracy.

No free ML upgrade for peoples which have buy Lion after 13/06

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.