Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a magsafe adapter recall?

Is there a current magsafe recall?

My power adapter is fraying (new l-shaped type)? Same fraying as before on the older models.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:19 PM

2 replies

Jan 12, 2013 10:44 AM in response to mannsmk

OK, long-winded response:

I also had the l-shaped magsafe adapter. I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, and the adapter began to fray, both at the point of connection and at the adapter, about a month ago. Yesterday, the little punk started smoking (at the adapter point). A friend pointed it out, and I obviously promptly unplugged everything.

I understand that the adapters are somewhat "fragile," but it's not as if I have been using it as a lasso. Clearly, if it frays, you should not continue to use the adapter because of the fire hazard, but I had to get my work done!

I brought the adapter to an Apple store yesterday, and I asked them for a replacement. They asked if I wanted to set up a "genius bar" appointment, but I refused because, guess what, I had to go to work! I was admittedly being stubborn because they may have replaced the adapter for free if I had set up an appointment.

So, I plopped down $100 for a new adapter. While they rang me up, I did put the adapter on the counter in full view of this always crowded Apple store. I got a few "what happened?" questions from other customers, and the Apple rep tried to pull the adapter off the counter. I asked him to leave it where it was 🙂

I have owned several Macs over the years, and I have had this fraying problem with two other adapters, one of which was replaced for free. I suppose it is common sense that the wire should be straight, not curled, at the point of connection and that, while wrapping your cord, you should leave some slack at the adapter point. However, it would be nice, maybe commical, if an Apple rep said, "Now be careful, those little suckers fray very easily and the adapter gets hotter than Hades!"

Apple, I love you, but you are so expensive, and I hate needing to replace your $100 adapters. This time around, I will will be extra, extra careful.

is there a magsafe adapter recall?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.