Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Text with iPad3

Hi,

I can send texts with my iPhone4 using the 'green' message icon and my WIFI network (no cellular).

I have a new iPad3 and it looks like the only text messaging supported using the 'green' message icon is iMessage and I can't seem to send texts to my many non-iphone friends anymore.

I'm not tech savy.

*Can someone explain why this is the case and what the WIFI work-around is to send texts with the iPad3 is?

Seems kinda weird that Apple would block std texting.

thank you.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 4:39 AM

10 replies

Jul 11, 2012 4:41 AM in response to kenm1210

iMessage is the "green" texting on iOS devices, it can only be sent/received between iPhones/iPod/iPads running iOS 5 and above and not between other phones as a text message would.

If you have a 3G iPad you may have text allowance in your contract and thus have a telephone number which would let you send text messages when connected to the 3G network.

But by default you can not send text messages as that requires a mobile phone connection which an iPad does not have, the same is true of the iPod Touch.

When using your iPad on the WiFi connection you have internet access and thus can send iMessages.

Jul 15, 2012 7:40 AM in response to Detroiter313

and you can if you bought the 3G/4G version and have a SIM card and contract, it will have a number you can use to send/receive texts and many give you an allowance each month of Texts.

But with the WiFi version there is no physical way of sending standard SMS Text message it requires a celluar chip which the WiFi version does not have, hence the 3G/4G versions.

You can however (unlike any other makers device) send texts, not just standard SMS but MMS, so you can include images/files etc to other iOS devices running iOS 5 and above via the iMessage system which bypasses the need for a mobile phone contract/SIM, so you are far better off then those using other makes WiFi only devices.

If you have bought your iPad from Apple in the last couple of weeks you may still have time to take it back and exchange it for the Celluar version, paying the extra money for the price difference.

And I am sorry I have to agree with Meg St._Clair, when spending this kind of money even the smallest of research would be wise.

Jul 15, 2012 6:27 PM in response to kenm1210

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of your replies to my original post.

A couple of points I'd like to make:

I think its 'interesting' that Apple uses the very same green messaging icon for the iphone as it does for the iPad3, yet the behavior of the application due to a different IOS is completely different.

Would it have been that much of a stretch to upgrade the iPad icon too; a reflection that something significant has changed?

Something as basic as texting should be 'seamless'. I don't care who your texting too...iPad to Sprint or iPad to Joe's Service.

What iTunes is to music, iMessage should be to texting....in my opinion (worth very little I understand).

I feel bad for the guy who bought the iPad and it doesn't do what he expected. These things require more than "a little" research to understand what you're getting into.

Here's some info on cellular carrier's that my friends use. I text back and forth to them using email on my iPad with WIFI. It works great. Be sure to enter the area code with their cell number in the email address:

Header 1Header 2
AT&Tcellnumber@att.txt.net
Verizoncellnunber@vtext.net
T-Mobilecellnumber@tmomail.net
Sprint PCScellnumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
US Cellularcellnumber@email.uscc.net
Nextelcellnumber@messaging.nextel.com

Cheers....

How to Text with iPad3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.