Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I damage the external speaker on the iPhone 4s by playing music at maximum volume?

I noticed that the speakers on the iPhone 4s are fairly loud. However i am worried that playing music on maximum volume on the iPhone 4s may damage the speaker physically and lower audio fidelity. Is it ok to use the speakers at maximum volume

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1, White, 32gb

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 11:57 AM

Probably safe, but as you observe you are putting mechanical wear and tear on the system and the more you do that with any system the shorter the life. I don't know if this means they will last 1 year vs. 5, or 10 years instead of 20 (and if you only keep it 4 years it makes no difference).

If you need to play it at that volume you might want to look into accessory speakers. You can probably even use a set of computer speakers you buy at a garage sale. They would likely sound better at the same volume.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2012 11:57 AM in response to rueben99

Probably safe, but as you observe you are putting mechanical wear and tear on the system and the more you do that with any system the shorter the life. I don't know if this means they will last 1 year vs. 5, or 10 years instead of 20 (and if you only keep it 4 years it makes no difference).

If you need to play it at that volume you might want to look into accessory speakers. You can probably even use a set of computer speakers you buy at a garage sale. They would likely sound better at the same volume.

Jul 12, 2012 8:14 AM in response to rueben99

For some regular repairs such as replacing the battery there are specific rates. I think with speakers it would be a case of an out of warranty replacement of the whole unit at a flat rate. Maybe if you fried them while still under warranty then it would be covered by that, but you'd have to find a repair person who agreed with you they needed replacing. There's also limitations in coverage due to 'normal wear and tear'.

Repair Pricing section - http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service

iPhone 4S $199

Can I damage the external speaker on the iPhone 4s by playing music at maximum volume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.