Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Mail messages failing to send

Having chosen to make iCloud my primary mail provider I was a little shocked the other week when I found that my outgoing messages had begun failing to send for no apparent reason.

Whenever I try to send a message using my Windows Vista system using chrome, or any browser for that matter, it produces the following message.

Cannot send message

This message cannot be sent at this time

The apple servers are online and my friends are able to send emails using their desktops and laptops. Something interesting is that I am still able to send emails from this account using my iDevices.

User uploaded file

I wish to emphasise the point that this is only a recent problem and is blocking all messages not just those to specific people or only those with attachments etc. I can also recieve all messages with no issues.

Kaspersky 2012 internet security

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 12:01 PM

6 replies

May 12, 2013 10:02 AM in response to GeorgeMillzy

Ok, I was able to resolve the problem at least in my case... I don't know if this can be applied to everybody but this is the sequence of events that fixed the problem. I am leaving the experts find out if there is any logic connection between the events.

0) Just to set the premises, I had 3 aliases. Had to delete one. Once you delete an alias you have to wait 5 days in order to add another one. ok...

1) I was receiving the message "Cannot send message. This message cannot be sent at the time" when I was on the iCloud webmail. I just started using iCloud mail more extensively just today so I cannot tell if the problem was there before deleting the alias.

2) On iCloud webmail, I set my primary icloud email as the default "from" email, while the others were activated and available (Composing>Send From). When I start a new email from from iCloud the default "from" email appears on the email but when hit send I get the error message.

3) On the iPhone I changed the email settings so to have my default account to be iCloud. Then under the actual iCloud settings I made sure the default email address was the primary iCloud email account. All kosher up to here... nothing crazy, just the way it is supposed to be.

4) Under these settings, when you start a new email on your iphone you should have by default your iCloud email in the "From" line. BUT that was not the case, that line is actually blank!. Hence you cannot send emails from the default iCloud email. On the webmail iCloud I think it's the same issue, although it appears while editing the email, I think that in essence the primary account is not there.

6) On the iPhone, if you try to change the "from" email address (by tapping on the "from" line while editing the email) you'll see that the primary account is not there, but the two aliases are!! The aliases in my case did work just fine for sending.

5) Ok, up to here so this was my starting situation. This is what I did that fixed it.

6) I went to the AppleID website and added one of my aliases as my "alternate email". I believe this is what unblocked the situation. Initially I had my AppleID email (that is not Apple) and the alternate email that is my primary iCloud email address. I just added a second alternate email to the list.

7) Then I went to the iCloud webmail settings and set the primary "Send from" email as my alias, while keeping the other emails also available (checked).

8) When I went to my phone I message popped up that said something like "AppleID added a new email for FaceTime and iMassage" (Sorry I don't remember the exact wording, but that was about it). In essence, my iphone is telling me that now I can use my alias for starting conversations and Facetime. Accept it!

9) At this point, I tried to start another email from my iphone. Under the "from" line while editing the email I found the default email which now was my alias (as it is supposed to be), BUT as I went to change it (tapped the line and looked the other "from" accounts I could use) I finally found my primary account available! BINGO!!

10) I went back to my iPhone settings and changed my default email to my primary. I verified that my emails could be sent from the primary iCloud email. That was the case, as the "from" line now was not blank but had the primary iCloud email.

11) I went online on the iCloud webmail and did the same: Preferences>Composing>Send from.

12) Et voila! Now I can send emails from my primary account.

Hope this helps in some way.

Good Luck!

PS: in my non-expert understanding I think that the problem is linked to the aliases when they are deleted. This seems to confused iCloud about which account is available and which one is not. Maybe! 🙂

iCloud Mail messages failing to send

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.