Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PRAM won't reset, no firmware password set

Hey guys,

I'm trying to reset my PRAM/VRAM after severe freezing, weird multicolored horizontal lines across open windows and lots of crashes. I'm trying to find out what's going on. However, upon trying to reset, it just, for the life of me, won't work. I did this before though, and it did work back then. Now however, the computer starts up just as it always does — no second chime. Other commands won't work as well — like holding down the command-key or the shift key. It just starts up so as if I'm not doing anything. I have no firmware password set, I checked and when starting this app from my Snow Leopard DVD it asks me if I'd like to set up one — it doesn't give me the option to remove any old password. So I figured I haven't set one.

What could I do? Any clues?

Cheers…

iMac (20-inch Early 2006), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 1:32 PM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2012 1:35 PM in response to shenanigans1983

Do this, hold for at least 2 chime cycles:

PRAM RESET

Zap the PRAM

• Shut down the computer.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Jul 11, 2012 5:44 PM in response to shenanigans1983

Well, are you using wireless keyboard? See here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3273

This may help with other issues:

As old as your iMac is, have you cleaned out the dust? Dust buildup can lead to over heating issues. Remove any and all things plugged into it including the power cord, Remove the RAM access grille. Vacuum all openings starting with the RAM access area (air intake). Vacuum all ports and plugs, DVD slot and the opening across the top of the rear of the body. Blow compressed air through all your openings and vacuum again to remove any dust you loosend. Reinstall the RAM grille. Plug in the keyboard and mouse if not blue tooth. Insert power cord...

You are now in a perfect position to do a

SMC RESET

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

It is the 5 second timing that initiates the reset.

Here is a link to a Widget to monitor your temps and other operations:

http://islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

Jan 25, 2014 11:11 AM in response to RRFS

I am having a similiar problem wt my imac, running snow leopard. My imac also did not do a pram reset. It will just go into my start up screen when I hold command, option, P, R. The reason I am trying to do one, is because it won't shut down from apple menu, and always restarts. In the past I have had this problem, and a pram reset always toook care of it. I'm guessing I should try an SMC reset, but I'm not entirely sure how to Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals from my imac. My power cord is not removable from my iMac, it is all one piece. Unless they mean, unplug it from the wall first.

PRAM won't reset, no firmware password set

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.