Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 6 transition sound problem - transposed soundtracks? Any solution?

Hello,

I can see that this problem has been discussed many times, and I am getting by using some of the suggested "work-arounds", but I was just wondering if there have been any actual solutions to this problem? I never had this problem before, and I don't exactly know when it started, but it is VERY ANNOYING! I have iMovie6 and a 2.4 GHz iMac with an Intel Core 2 Duo. I am still using Leapard, OS version 10.5.8 simply because it seems to work fine, and I haven't needed any of the newer features. However, if this transition issue would be corrected with an upgrade, I would gladly upgrade! Has anyone found a solution for this transition sound problem?

Thanks,

Lincoln

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 12:31 AM

Hi

iMovie HD6 - was left in 2008 - so You'll most probably never see any up-grades to this.

Work Around - by selecting Video Clips - then Extract Audio - then apply Transition - then final touch up of the Audio-Clips is Only real solution that ever will be.

alt. is FinalCut - and this is now FinalCut Pro -X - can be downloaded to try out first.

Yours Bengt W

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2012 12:31 AM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

Hi

iMovie HD6 - was left in 2008 - so You'll most probably never see any up-grades to this.

Work Around - by selecting Video Clips - then Extract Audio - then apply Transition - then final touch up of the Audio-Clips is Only real solution that ever will be.

alt. is FinalCut - and this is now FinalCut Pro -X - can be downloaded to try out first.

Yours Bengt W

Jul 12, 2012 10:07 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Thank you Bengt.

I was hoping that there was a "cure" or fix for this problem, but I guess not.

I am very comfortable with iM6. I have looked at the newer versions and I don't like them at all. (I started with iM2 which was also very good!). I have thought about making the switch to FinalCut, but it just seems like too much work, (I have heard that the learning curve is fairly stiff). Do you think that it is worth the effort? Or should I just continue with iM6 and deal with the annoying transition sound problem using "work-arounds"?

I only make "home movies", nothing professional, but I really enjoy working with my old movies and videos, and turning them into iMovies with music, special effects, and yes -- transitions! I'm afraid that FinalCut would be too much work, and not as much FUN, and if its not fun, why do it?

Your thoughts?

Lincoln

Jul 22, 2012 8:12 PM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

I know there is no true solution, but here's what I do:

Sometimes, I just fade-out the volume at the end of the clip just BEFORE the transition, and then completely drop the volume in the transition (the transition will be silent).

Other times, I create a "still-frame" from the last image of the clip. Then I double click on the new image and reduce the length (the default is 5 seconds). I usually decrease it to 2 seconds, then I add whatever transition I want making sure that the transition is set to be SHORTER than the clip. Since I usually set the image time to be 2 seconds, I set the transition time to be 1:24 seconds. Of course, I still have to "fade-out" the volume before the transition, and mute the actual transition, but this way I get all of the sound from the actual clip (because the transition only affects the added clip).

Bengt's idea sounds good too, it just seems a little more complicated.

Too bad we have to work-around this seemingly simple to fix bug!

Lincoln

Jul 27, 2012 3:42 PM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

Lincoln,

I, too, prefer working with iMovie 6, making movies of all of our home videos and photos. I then make DVDs for all of them. I have DVDs of our photos from both sides of the family dating back to the 1890s continuing with videos and photos up to 2012. I have always found that iMovie 6 does everything I want. I am disappointed that Apple never updated iDVD to allow burning of HD footage and higher resolution photos. I will probably experiment with burning BluRay DVDs, but know that I will be without iDVDs nice theme options.

For the transition problems, the most common transition I use is Cross-Dissolve, and for that I have found that just clicking on the transition after it is in the movie, and then selecting Cross-Dissolve from the Transition list and doing 'update' seems to work. I know it sounds too simple to just update an existing transition to the same transition, but it works for me. Hope this can help you.

Jul 28, 2012 5:30 AM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

Lincoln

Like you I find this very annoying .

For me "extracting audio" sometimes results in the audio becomming out of sync with the video, also doing the "update" mentioned above does not fix it for me; I must be doing something wrong?

Having opened iMovie 6 to try "update " fix and failed I started to try a few things.I think I have found a solution that works.

The following sounds complicated, but is not; reading twice is recommended

Most of us apply a string of transitions from left to right i.e. between clip 1 and 2 then between 2 and 3 then 3 and 4 and so on. The audio glitch will occur in say transition 2/3 because there is a transition immediately before it in 1/2 and likewise a glitch in 3/4 because of the transition immediately before in 2/3 .

I find you do not get a transition audio glitch between 2 clips if there is no transition immediately before.

So the simple solution is having sorted all your clips and edited, apply the transitions in reverse direction i.e. from the end of the movie working towards the beginning; transition between clip 39/40 then 38/39, 37/38 and so on down to 2/1.

If you do not want to start at clip 40 for some reason you can say do (assuming you want all clips to have transitions) clips 5 down to 1, then say 15 down to 10, then say 10 down to 5 etc etc. But you will notice that when you do clip 5/6 in this scenario you already have a transition for 4/5 so you will get an audio glitch for 5/6.

The solution here before doing transition 5/6 is to split video at playhead somewhere in clip 5 so that there is a break in the transitions but no interuption in the video.

If you are able to apply transitions in one session then working backwards from the end is the easiest solution and takes no longer than any other method.

If you have to do it in segments still work backwards but spit clip at playhead as above when approaching an already applied transition in order to create a "transition break".

Alternatively a quick and dirty way might be to split every clip in 2 before applying transitions and apply the transitions anywhere except at the splits.This way you should not have to worry what order or direction you apply them in.

If you try this let me know how you get on.

iMovie 6 transition sound problem - transposed soundtracks? Any solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.