Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

issue with FCPX transition drag and drop and grouped clips...

hello when i do a alt G to group clip, i was unable to apply a transition to the end of this grouped selection...

drag and drop transition doesn't work...

- i try to let finalcut pro render the grouped part... it change nothing

- sometime drag and drop transtion does'nt work or a message ask to add the transtion to the clip... don't know why?

closing and starting finalcut pro x make things work for a time as soon as i don't group clip again...

need help please...

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4), i7 32 go of RAM and 1Go graphic car

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 3:30 AM

You need to learn the concept of "Handles": these are the pieces of your clip that are before the start point and after the end point. The handles are used to create the transitions. One nice way to see how this works is by using the "Precision Editor" (to see it, select an edit point and hit Ctrl-E). In this picture, the parts surrounded by a red rectangle are the handles:

User uploaded file

If you select the edit point and the select is in red, that means there is no handle there (no extra frames that can be used). When there are no handles, you either can't make a transition or get this dialog:

User uploaded file

If you go ahead and click "Create Transition", the clip(s) will be shortened, because FCP will "pull" the right clip onto the left one to make the transition.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2012 3:30 AM in response to Laurent Vieillefault

You need to learn the concept of "Handles": these are the pieces of your clip that are before the start point and after the end point. The handles are used to create the transitions. One nice way to see how this works is by using the "Precision Editor" (to see it, select an edit point and hit Ctrl-E). In this picture, the parts surrounded by a red rectangle are the handles:

User uploaded file

If you select the edit point and the select is in red, that means there is no handle there (no extra frames that can be used). When there are no handles, you either can't make a transition or get this dialog:

User uploaded file

If you go ahead and click "Create Transition", the clip(s) will be shortened, because FCP will "pull" the right clip onto the left one to make the transition.

Jul 12, 2012 8:30 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

thanks for this advice, but it seems that the drag and drop transitions seems to not work all the time... as soon as i do a "grouped clip" in fact i was just unable to drag an effect or transition from the tool box... transition selected in yellow in the "toolbox", try to drop, nothing happen ont the screen, i just see my mouse and no transition " "cursor"... strange...

Aug 7, 2013 4:35 PM in response to Laurent Vieillefault

Current bug, I get the error and and when I click "Create Transition" nothing happens. Regardless of whether I drag in a dissolve transition or use the keyboard shortcut. This seems to have started happening after the update, although I don't really know when.Anybody figured out a work around? I can drag in a non-dissolve transition and then add dissolve, but this is time consuming when considering adding hundreds of transitions with hours of editing.

Current Verision, 10.0.9

Mac Pro 2011 8-Core

issue with FCPX transition drag and drop and grouped clips...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.