Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to projector

I bought months ago this adapter http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA4Mw#overview and tried it with 3 different projectors but still none worked, I went to settings and changed resolutions and clicked detect displays and nothing and when I go to the apple store they don't have a projector to try it on, what should I do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 7:05 AM

10 replies

Jul 12, 2012 7:26 AM in response to jeanpaul.nv

Go to Apple menu -> About This Mac -> System Information, and tell us only the Machine/model identifier and NOT the serial number. It should be MacBook Pro x,y. We need the x,y values. This will tell us if you have a Thunderbolt MacBook Pro, or if you have a mini-Displayport. Not all mini-Displayport adapters work on Thunderbolt. If you have DVI or HDMI on a projector, it is better to connect to those ports than VGA or S-Video.

Jul 12, 2012 8:33 AM in response to a brody

I finally found a cable that claims to be Thunderbolt to VGA. Mind you VGA resolutions are limited on Mac signals to 4:3 ratios such as 1024 x 768. If you don't have a widescreen projector this won't matter, but if you do, will mean you will have borders chopped off your view. If the previous two projectors don't have an HDMI port, they seriously need to get up to date. Projectors with HDMI ports have been around for at least 6 years.

Jul 12, 2012 9:54 AM in response to jeanpaul.nv

jeanpaul.nv wrote:

And I have a thunderbolt port, does that mean I bought that adapter for nothing? Then, what adapter should I buy?

That is the correct adapter. Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with mini-displayport. Are you sure the projectors were turned on and your cable was connected to the right port? These days most projectors have rather sophisticated, remote controls and are not easy to figure out.

Can't connect to projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.