Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing AD Username in Magic Triangle

I'm using OSX 10.6.8 client and server.

We are using Server 2008 R2 Active Directory.

I am using the built-in Apple AD plugin to connect users to Active Directory.

I am using OSX 10.6.8 server with WorkGroup Manager to manage some client settings.

I have a user that got married and I would like to change her name for her on her account.

Is it really as easy as just editing her account in AD and then it will work on her Mac?

Or do I also need to edit her local user account via Advanced Options...

Any help on how to do this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Server, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac Mini

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 8:36 AM

Hi

"Is it really as easy as just editing her account in AD and then it will work on her Mac?"

Yes.

"Or do I also need to edit her local user account via Advanced Options?"

This won't work as OS X Server bound to AD has read only access to Active Directory's Users/Groups Database.

HTH?

Tony

5 replies

Jul 16, 2012 2:46 PM in response to Layne_Staley

Hi

"Is there a way to make an alias on AD in the magic triangle configuration?"

This Forum is specific to OS X Server only so please don't take this the wrong way but I would think you should be asking this question in the Microsoft TechNet Forum.

However, from what I know of Microsoft's Servers, I think this should be a fairly easy thing to do?

HTH?

Tony

Jul 18, 2012 8:39 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

I'll post on Microsoft forums if I have to yet my uneducated guess is there are less magic triangle users there than here... I'm posting what I did and the results on the slim chance this thread helps someone else... I understand how AD works with Windows clients, yet I'm unsure how the Apple AD plugin under 10.6.8 fully functions with AD...

I was able to change the user's name and verify it worked. Here is the article I used for reference.

I changed the user's name in the main account field to her married username and changed the pre Win2k account field to her maiden username. When logging into her Mac, both accounts goto the same place yet the home folder name changes based on login. - meaning items in her home folder are identical between user and alias. So that seems to work.

I also renamed and changed the user's account name to her married name in AD, yet the login name (seen under "Log Out User..." from the Apple menu) was still her old name. To remedy this I logged into her account on her Mac and manually changed the Apple Account Name under System Preferences > Accounts > Full Name.

I think this is resolved, yet I plan to test for a while. If anything changes, I'll update this ticket.

Changing AD Username in Magic Triangle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.