Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My startup disk is full.. Even though I haven't used it... And deleted many items too.. but the condition resumes after 5-6 hrs... At least people using Windows n Linux are not facing such problem...It's Disgusting.. hw to Diagnose?Plz Help...

My startup disk is full.. Even though I haven't used it... And deleted many items too including many downloaded pictures videos n music from i-tunes, and made space of about 1.5Gb thrice.. but the condition resumes after 5-6 hrs... At least people using Windows n Linux are not facing such problem...M feeling cheated investing a huge amount on Apple... It's Disgusting.. 😠

hw to Diagnose? Plz Help... My softwares are up to date... 😕

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 7:59 AM

10 replies

Jul 12, 2012 2:45 PM in response to Abhinav Saha

Even though I haven't used it

And deleted many items too

Unless your computer has a mind of its own, it will NOT fill up the hard drive or delete files unless instructed by a human (or an animal walking across your keyboard). Someone else had access to your computer.

Empty the trash!

Where did my Disk Space go?

Slimming your hard drive

Seven ways to free up drive space

OmniDiskSweeper is a free utility that checks HD space.

FreeSpace cost $1 or is a free utility that checks HD space.

SpaceControl is a free utility that checks HD space.

FreeSpace cost $.99 - FreeSpace shows you how much space is available on all local, connected, and network drives with a single click.

User uploaded file

Jul 14, 2012 4:21 AM in response to CMCSK

Thanks CMCSK . I understand it's impossible. That's why M worried. And as I told You Whenever I make space of about 1-1.5 GB deleting files or softwares It displays the message of startup disk full again after 5-6 hrs.. Rest of my drives are working well. Is there any way to clanup my drive or any software? Or my system is making a duplicate copy of files. As it happens with iTunes.

Pls suggest.

Jul 14, 2012 4:57 AM in response to Abhinav Saha

1.5GB will not be enough to satisfy the system. Try 10 times that. I know it sounds illogical for your Mac to require that vast amount of space but modern Macs need a football field of space to perform a half-roll tumble.

Burn some of your downloads to a DVD, check that they play and then delete the originals on the hard drive to try and achieve that 10-15% free space.

Jul 14, 2012 2:55 PM in response to Abhinav Saha

roam already provided you with some excellent advice on how to free up space. Other suggestions to find out which files are hogging up your hard drive:

Where did my Disk Space go?

Slimming your hard drive

Seven ways to free up drive space

OmniDiskSweeper is a free utility that checks HD space.

FreeSpace cost $1 or is a free utility that checks HD space.

SpaceControl is a free utility that checks HD space.

FreeSpace cost $.99 - FreeSpace shows you how much space is available on all local, connected, and network drives with a single click.

Last but not least - Empty the trash!

User uploaded file

Jul 17, 2012 11:56 PM in response to CMCSK

Yes Friend.. I have deleted my Trash... N I tried a command in terminal...

The Terminal way

Using your Admin account, you can run all three maintenance scripts at once:

1. Open Terminal, located in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
  2. At the Terminal prompt, type the following, exactly as written:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

3. Press Return.
  4. Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
All three scripts will run in sequence. There is no visual feedback while the scripts execute. You will know they are completed when the Terminal prompt returns.

You can also run the scripts individually. For example, to run just the daily script, you would type the the following command in step 2:

sudo periodic daily

I got it smwhere in A forum... It emptied about 1.4 GB frm the disc... N I copied my Downloads to External Hard Disc.
Bt I'll still say that Mac makes some temproary copy or saves a huge amount of catche.

Thanks CMCSK.

Jul 18, 2012 2:01 AM in response to Abhinav Saha

"It emptied about 1.4 GB frm the disc"

If doing the periodic rotation freed up 1.4 GB, it may pay to keep an eye on some of those logs in case there is a repitition of lines causing the log to grow quickly. If such a repitition exists it may indicate a problem elsewhere.

These logs are accessible through the Console application. Looking at system.log would be the most useful.

My startup disk is full.. Even though I haven't used it... And deleted many items too.. but the condition resumes after 5-6 hrs... At least people using Windows n Linux are not facing such problem...It's Disgusting.. hw to Diagnose?Plz Help...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.