Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I take my boot drive out of my Mac Pro 1,1 and put it into a 4,1 will it boot and work normally?

As the title asks - I'm thinking of picking up a faster MP than my old, trusty 1,1. But I have 4TB of programs, Virtual Instruments, Plugins and DAW software that would be a nightmare to reinstall. Much of it was purchased and downloaded rather than having install discs, so reinstalling would probably take about a week.

If I can pick up an 8 core on ebay and put my drives in it life could be beautiful, because 1,1 is starting to show her age!

Thanks in advance for any help or info you can give.

Steve Cruz

Florida

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 9:14 AM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2012 9:44 AM in response to scruz931

People have been doing so with a 5,1. Some feel it makes sense (like throwing salt?) to run the 10.6.8 combo update.

Your 4,1 can be set to boot in 64-bit mode, but that requires all the drivers etc to be 64-bit also which you may lack but worth doing ~ at some point (with say a backup clone in hand) as you move forward. And you need to set boot mode to 64, while 5,1 by default does use 64-bit mode which is an option with 10.6.x+

If I take my boot drive out of my Mac Pro 1,1 and put it into a 4,1 will it boot and work normally?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.