Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find my outbox?

When sending mail on my iPad, I often receive a message that says,"Unable to contact server, your message has been placed in your out box."

Where exactly is my outbox and how can I retrieve the message to resend? It doesn't show up anywhere any more.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 10:38 AM

( to explain it easier). Hold the pad in landscape mode, and open mail. If you are on the inbox display, look at the top left of the screen. There should be a left pointing icon labeled mailboxes. Touch it and you will find you inbox, sent items, trash, and outbox.

13 replies

Jul 12, 2012 10:40 AM in response to Bogey49

Further. To resend a message in the outbox, once you get a connection, simply touch it. The pad will automatically try to resend the next time you have mail open, and an Internet connection. You will not really need to worry much about resending. But it does give you a good place to see what did not get sent!

Mar 24, 2014 8:46 AM in response to Bogey49

I also cannot see the outbox since I updated to iOS 7.

The only way I can see it is if I click on any email, click on the "folders" tab on the bottom to move it to a different folder. I then see a "greyed out" outbox, meaning that I cannot access the folder. It shows to the right a number, indicating that there are numerous mails in the folder! Now I know where they have been hiding.

There are a lot of posts about "finding the outbox", but almost all refer to finding the outbox that is visible through the menus. I, however, cannot see or access the outbox.

Any help is appreciated.

Mar 24, 2014 11:53 AM in response to hassalthoff

hassalthoff wrote:

There are a lot of posts about "finding the outbox", but almost all refer to finding the outbox that is visible through the menus. I, however, cannot see or access the outbox.

Apparently some e-mail account types only show an "Outbox" when there is a message still waiting to be sent (e.g. Yahoo and Gmail) but Exchange accounts may have an Outbox shown at all times even if there's nothing pending.

If I send a Gmail but have no internet access, a category displayed as "Outbox" will appear under the "Flagged" category. But once the message goes out, this disappears.

If you have messages that have not gone out, what type of account is this? Can you see these messages from a computer?

Mar 24, 2014 12:22 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Hi,

My iphone used to do as you are explaining...outbox shows up when you are sending something. Now it doesn't, though. I just tried sending messages in airplane mode to see if my outbox would show up...it doesn't. The email stays in the "hidden outbox" after I send in airplane mode.

I cannot view the email from the computer, meaning it did not go through.

I use GMAIL with SMTP outgoing server. When I switched on the "mail" option of my exchange profile of the same email address, I could see my unsent messages. The emails were all those sent when offline...dating back 4 months!

If I remember correctly, I don't use exchange for emails for fear of losing my emails to the device. I only use exchange for calendar items and contacts. If there's not a concern of emails being lost, then using exchange might be a fix for me.

Mar 24, 2014 2:29 PM in response to hassalthoff

hassalthoff wrote:

If I remember correctly, I don't use exchange for emails for fear of losing my emails to the device. I only use exchange for calendar items and contacts. If there's not a concern of emails being lost, then using exchange might be a fix for me.

I don't know of any reason you'd "lose" email by using Exchange for a Gmail account, it always seemed to work fine for me. Since you have it set up you can turn on the email portion of that account and remove the standard iOS Gmail account you've been using.

However, a couple things to be aware of:

1- As of iOS 7, a standard iOS Gmail account profile supports Contacts, so it now syncs Contacts (and Calendar) to Gmail with no workarounds. So you may not need Exchange for Gmail.

2- Google discontinued ActiveSync for Exchange on 1/30/2013. The reason you still have it is either (a) your device was set up with an Exchange account prior to Google's change, or (b) you have a qualifying Gmail account type that lets you keep it (paid account or educational). If (a) you have it now only because your device pre-dates the change, so your next iOS device won't be able to use Exchange for Gmail.

3- Related to #2, I believe some settings changed at the server level for how Gmail responds to deleting messages from your iOS device. When using Gmail set up as an Exchange account in iOS you used to be able to change what happens when you delete a message (i.e. Delete or Archive). This had to be done at the m.google.com server, not in your iOS settings (unlike a standard iOS Gmail account). But once ActiveSync was dropped, the server setting reverts back to Archive, so "deleting" a message actually sends it to your "All Mail" folder. This happened to me, so I dropped Exchange and went with a standard iOS Gmail account where you can control this behavior.

Apr 6, 2014 6:38 PM in response to Bogey49

Not one of these posts had valid information on how to find your outbox. On IOS 6 it was very easy, now with IOS 7 I supppose you need top secret clearance to see your own outbox. Upper left brings you back to your mailboxes, nothing for outbox. Clicking on the message waiting to send does not bring up the outbox, so it would be helpful if APPLE or anyone gave some good info here.

How do I find my outbox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.