Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2008 Macbook and Mountain Lion?

I'm trying to find out if my white 13" Macbook (Macbook4,1) will be Mountain Lion compliant. The official list says 2008 Aluminum Macbooks, but supposedly the whites are not listed due to the Intel GMA X3100 GPU is no longer supported. I've read several internet postings about the X3100 144mb won't be supported because it uses a 32 bit driver and Mountain Lion will be 64 bit only. But when I run this Terminal command:

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

It returns "firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">

I'm running 10.7.4 in 64 bit mode and better than 90% on the system is 64 bit according to System Information/Frameworks.

So, I'm confused... can I upgrade or is the X3100 just not supported at all anymore regardless of the 64 bit framework?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.1Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2Gig RAM

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 11:29 AM

You can't install it in your computer. Apple doesn't say why, but it could be because of the graphic because it's poor

2 replies

Jul 12, 2012 11:58 AM in response to Michael Linneer

Bummer... but then it begs the following... if I can't upgrade my systems to 10.8, but I do upgrade my iPad and iPhone to IOS 6, can I still take advantage of the new cloud services? Will syncing still work across AddressBook and Contacts, across iCal and Calandar, Notes in Mail and Notes App? I guess time will tell but it seems to me that Apple will either force a lot of people to new hardware or they will have to maintain 2 cloud systems, one for 10.8/IOS 6 users, and one for 10.5+/IOS 5 legacy users.

Late 2008 Macbook and Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.