Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if I have two laptops connected to a single wireless hard drive, what happens when one laptop wants to go on a trip and the other one needs to stay home?

if I have two laptops connected to a single wireless hard drive (i.e. Time Capsule), what happens when one laptop wants to go on a trip and the other one needs to stay home? I'm afraid I know the answer, but I'm hoping Apple has a great solution to my problem.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 3:32 PM

What if this little piggy goes to market but this little piggy stays home?

The computer on a trip will do snapshot backups on the hard drive that will then be incorporated into the Time Machine backup once you get it back home. See

OS X Lion- About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and enter or paste the appropriate command line. Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed.

To turn them ON: sudo tmutil enablelocal

To turn them OFF: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Note that turning them OFF will also delete all existing snapshots.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2012 3:32 PM in response to Lucas_0012

What if this little piggy goes to market but this little piggy stays home?

The computer on a trip will do snapshot backups on the hard drive that will then be incorporated into the Time Machine backup once you get it back home. See

OS X Lion- About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and enter or paste the appropriate command line. Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed.

To turn them ON: sudo tmutil enablelocal

To turn them OFF: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Note that turning them OFF will also delete all existing snapshots.

Jul 12, 2012 4:08 PM in response to Kappy

I don't want to use it for back-ups. From what I've been reading about the Time Capsule (on Mac Store) it sounds like you can use it as a Share-point so that you can have multiple computers in the house all operating off of a common harddrive. I'm forever looking for files that are inevitibly on the "other computer" so having a shared harddrive sounds great. I'm just worried that I'll buy it and it won't do what I thought it would do.

if I have two laptops connected to a single wireless hard drive, what happens when one laptop wants to go on a trip and the other one needs to stay home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.