Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook screen remains dark.

I had stepped away from my white 2008 MacBook for a while, and when I returned, the screen was dark as it usually is after a certain time of inactivity, due to a setting in System Preferences. When I pressed a key on the keyboard like I usually do to cause the screen to display again, the screen remained dark. Also, I could barely see faint images of what had been displayed on the screen before it had gone dark.

Also, the little light on the right front side of the body was no longer lit. I then pressed and held down the power button for approximately a second or so. Nothing happened in response to that. I then closed the lid of the MacBook. When I closed the lid, the little light at the right front side of the body came on. Then, when I opened the lid, the screen lit up briefly, and there was a message on the screen asking me if I wanted to send the MacBook to sleep, restart it, or shut it down (maybe in response to me pressing the power button). After that brief moment, the screen went dark again. I closed and reopened the lid again, and the message about sleeping, restarting, and shutting down was still there (maybe because I hadn't been able to click on any of the options). I unplugged all the cables connected to the MacBook, which were the power cable, an ethernet cable, and a USB mouse cable. Unplugging them didn't seem to make a difference.

A few minutes later, I pressed the power button. The start chime made its usual sound, and the little light on the right front side of the body lit up, then that little light went blank and the screen remained dark. I tried the power button at least two more times after waiting a while between each try. After my latest attempt, I heard an iCal alarm sound, which suggests to me that the MacBook is running while the screen remains dark.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this, as well as any solutions for it?

-John

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 6:42 PM

It sounds like its running just fine but the backlight must have gone out. Take it in to a store or contact AppleCare.

5 replies

Jul 12, 2012 8:23 PM in response to redmondson

Thank you for the information, redmondson.

Earlier this evening, I had called a local store that offers repair services for Macs. I received some free advice that involved the following recommended steps, which brought the display back until it went dark again later (following the steps a second time brought the display back again):

* Turn the MacBook upside down.

* Remove the battery.

* Wait 5 minutes.

* Put the battery back into the MacBook.

* Plug in the power cable, but don't plug anything else in.

* Wait for the color of the light on the power cable to change to the color green (this took a while the first time that I followed the steps, maybe because the battery had been partially discharged).

* Press the power button, but then don't touch anything on the MacBook.

* Once the MacBook finishes booting, wait 2 minutes.

* Then, using the trackpad, click on the Apple symbol in the top left corner of the screen.

* Then select the shut down menu choice.

* After the MacBook finishes shutting down, wait 2 minutes.

* Then press the power button and use the MacBook as usual.

If the problem recurs, I plan to take the MacBook to the store.

-John

Jul 13, 2012 8:19 PM in response to John with a G4

Today, the screen remained dark. This evening, I did an Internet search for the keywords "MacBook screen dark". One of the webpages in the search results mentioned holding down the below four keys simultaneously when pressing the power button, and continuing to hold them while the computer chimes 4–5 times, and then letting go of them:

Command

Option

P

R

I tried that, waiting for 5 chimes before I let go of the keys. Nothing displayed. I then held the power button down for several seconds to turn the MacBook off. I then repeated the procedure of holding down Command-Option-P-R while pressing the power button, and this time I held down all four keys until after 7 chimes, and I then let go of them. The screen then displayed a gray background with a dark gray Apple symbol in the middle and a gradually filling dark gray progress bar that was below the Apple symbol. After the progress bar completely filled, the MacBook booted into OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard as normal. (I apologize for not previously mentioning the version of OS X that is installed on this MacBook.)

-John

MacBook screen remains dark.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.