Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VMware Fusion v Parallels and a partition?

I came across this thread while searching for info on which to base a decision to either upgrade Fusion or switch to Parallels, plus whether to install Win7 on a Boot Camp partition, which I'm not using now.

I am a day stocks trader, so I'm looking for responsiveness when using my PC trading software (unfortunately not available for Mac). Fusion 2 running Win 7 is sluggish, in spite of 8GB memory and plenty of dedicated virtual memory. The question is: Would you recommend Parallels above Fusion for my use as you do for gamers? I'm not a gamer, but I'm guessing their needs are not unlike mine---speed and RAM being key. Would you comment, please?

Early 2009 24-inch iMac w 8GB, OS 10.6.8, Fusion2 w Win7 installed.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 3:50 PM

5 replies

Jul 12, 2012 4:05 PM in response to Susan Hull

VMware Fusion is 4.0 and it has been 'ages' since 2.x series which would be a real reason why it doesn't work well -

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

Run Windows natively if 4.0 doesn't cut it but you might want to put Windows or Windows and OS X, on an SSD.

You normally would install that way anyway (onto a partition) and then have Parallels or Fusion link to and use that system anyway as the guest OS VM under OS X., benefit being you can do dual boot and have native full hardware for speed, or use a VM for simplier things that don't

Or you really might want to have a dedicated Windows machine - laptop and iMac, even go into a KVM to share a large exernal monitor.

I get the feeling though between VMware and Parallels that the later is more up to date and popular and can dynamically allocate RAM and processor cores on the fly as needed.

Depending on the program, you might be better off with 16GB RAM and running Windows (VM or native) off an SSD.

Also, look for product cycle update to faster iMacs before the end of the year. 4-core processor a definite must for you with more efficientency and higher clock rates.

if your application is supported with Windows 8, as bad as the Metro part of its interface is (and can be ignored once you turn most of it off) it does run smoother and faster in most areas.

Jul 12, 2012 4:52 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks so much. This is really helpful, and you've given me an idea. I'd already entertained the idea of getting a standalone PC desktop. Instead I could just maintain for a few months with the competitive upgrade of Parallels for $30, then get a new, faster iMac when released and use this older Mac as a standalone PC, which is more than adequate when running Win7 natively. Then I'd have both running simultaneously, which Boot Camp alone won't allow. Reasonable solution?

Forgive me, but I don't know what KVM or SSD mean. I do have a PC laptop now. And I have a second 24" monitor. With 2GB RAM in the laptop I assumed it would be underpowered for trading, but maybe not?

PS: Can't figure out how to award you a star, Hatter, or am I confusing this with another forum?

Jul 12, 2012 5:23 PM in response to Susan Hull

Susan Hull wrote:

Thanks so much. This is really helpful, and you've given me an idea. I'd already entertained the idea of getting a standalone PC desktop. Instead I could just maintain for a few months with the competitive upgrade of Parallels for $30, then get a new, faster iMac when released and use this older Mac as a standalone PC, which is more than adequate when running Win7 natively. Then I'd have both running simultaneously, which Boot Camp alone won't allow. Reasonable solution?

Forgive me, but I don't know what KVM or SSD mean. I do have a PC laptop now. And I have a second 24" monitor. With 2GB RAM in the laptop I assumed it would be underpowered for trading, but maybe not?

PS: Can't figure out how to award you a star, Hatter, or am I confusing this with another forum?

KVM is a switch allowing you to select from more than one computer connected to the same monitor, SSD is a solid state drive, a lower capacity, faster, more expensive replacement for a hard drive. To award The Hatter a star select his post and mark it as the one that solved your dilemma 🙂

Jul 13, 2012 5:29 AM in response to Susan Hull

To run Parallels - or why not upgrade Fusion from 2.x to 4? - you do need more than just a "dual-core" processor, and more RAM.

An SSD of 240GB $200 is a fast little beast to improve performance of a system and of a VM. Helps put new life into old sluggish computers even your underpowered PC laptop maybe.

KVM might work to use 24" monitor on both computers.

"Use this Mac as a standalone PC" meaning to run Windows? really? Not sure about that.

VMware Fusion v Parallels and a partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.