Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system can't be installed

i have macbook air 13inch .. i did somthing stupid and i don't know how to fix it .. i bough the mac about 3 months ago i was happy that i anstalled a lot of things just for fun .. im a windows guy but i liked the mac a lot so after messing with system "lion 10.7" the start to hang alot so i read an artical how to reinstall "lion 10.7" again .. and i easred everything without making backup to restore.. and it didn't work now i have an empety ssd

so any one can help me to reinstall from the begging .. and i dont have any dvd or thumb falsh .. so tell me what system i have to buy coz i heard there is no "lion 10.7" dvd to install just upgrade to it ...

*sorry for my english spelling

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 5:44 PM

Restart, listen for the tone, then press cmd-r and hold until the gray screen. You'll be in the recovery hd or internet recovery. Either way you can reinstall Lion.

See, About Lion Recovery.

12 replies

Jun 16, 2013 12:14 PM in response to SkeeveS

SkeeveS wrote:

I have this happening at the moment on my iMac 27" Later 2012.

But, I use wireless AND ethernet (wifi is for testing). When I am booting, I think it is using wireless... but it shouldn't.

How do I force it to use ethernet?

For Internet Recovery, this article seems to imply that you must use WiFi, but I'm not certain about that.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

For regular recovery, you should be able to use Ethernet.

May 13, 2014 8:46 AM in response to Barney-15E

No Barney.. it isn't a port being blocked by the ISP.. and think about it.. why would they huh ?

I have three DIFFERENT internets.. one at home - office - second home.. ALL do the same thing... so I went deeper and checked it with packet capture and APPLE just plain isn't responding to the requests..

Its no help if people just arbitrary do some Googling and "think" they helped someone..

Mar 20, 2016 9:47 AM in response to Barney-15E

I'm in the same boat. I don't have any Time Machine backups - I've just been using Crash Plan and my external HD - and have found that El Capitan makes Photoshop and Corel Painter lag really badly on my mid-2010 Macbook Pro, which research tells me came with 10.6 Snow Leopard. I replaced my original HD with an SSD and it didn't help. The only option seems to be Internet Recovery, but I get the 4403f error.

I understand the issue is likely due to the ISP and/or a firewall. I'm in China, and the whole country is basically behind a firewall, and there's nothing I can do about it.

I feel like my only three options now are to either buy a second-hand Snow Leopard DVD, or a black market USB stick loaded with a bootable version of OSX pre-El Capitan. Or book a day trip to Hong Kong where the internet is "free" and attempt Internet Recovery again from there, where I guess I'd be back to Snow Leopard.

Although I've backed everything up, my version of Painter for instance, needs a minimum of OSX 10.7 Lion. So if I have 10.6, how am I supposed to upgrade to Lion or better (but not El Capitan)?

This is frustrating. In hindsight, I should have had Time Machine. But I didn't, so here I am, and I don't exactly know what to do.

Mar 20, 2016 3:16 PM in response to gmsalpha

A retail Snow Leopard DVD may boot that Mac, but the mid 2010 Macbook Pro shipped with a special build of 10.6.3. The retail disk is 10.6.3, but the modifications in the build that shipped with that Mac may be required for it to boot. The only way to ensure it will work is to contact Apple and order replacement disks for that Mac. They just need the serial number, and I think they charge a small fee for shipping.

But, that won't help you with Painter if it needs Lion.

I can't speak to either of those programs, but it may be some conflict with other software you have installed that is not compatible with El Capitan. Have you searched to see if anyone else has the same issues with your versions of Photoshop and Painter?

system can't be installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.