Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to see my Generation 2 Apple TV under iTunes 10.6.1

I would like to download photos from my new iMac but I am unable to see my Generation 2 Apple TV under the left-hand tab column in iTunes 10.6.1. There is no mention of Apple TV under the iTunes Preferences. I am unable to download movies to my Apple TV through my wireless network. Any suggestions? I had no difficulties doing this with an earlier model iMac however this was more than one year ago.

I am however able to see and select the Apple TV in the bottom right of the iTunes (Multiple Speakers) screen.

Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 8:04 PM

7 replies

Jul 12, 2012 8:31 PM in response to Mister Phillips

ATV 2 is not supposed to appear in iTunes. The only time you will see it is when you connect it for restoring purposes. There is no accessible hard-drive so you don't download anything to it. You can use the native movies app to stream movie purchases from iCloud (currently US only), home-sharing to stream from your computer's iTunes library or airplay from an IOS device.

Jul 13, 2012 7:06 AM in response to vazandrew

Thank you vazandrew.

This is disappointing as I found the Apple TV 2 a convenient way of transporting JPEG images for slide shows at locations outside of my home (because of the integrated storage device in the Apple TV 2). I will have to find another solution now. Do you have any idea why Apple removed this feature? Also, how were you able to determine ATV2 is not supposed to appear in iTunes? Could you provide a link to some documentation?

Jul 13, 2012 7:30 AM in response to Mister Phillips

There is no storage in the ATV 2. It is a streaming device. As there is nothing to be sync there is no reason for it to appear as a device in iTunes. to view pictures on the device you can use home-sharing, AirPlay from an IOS device or mirror using an iPad (2 or later) or iPhone 4S

The 1st gen ATV is the only one that had a hard drive and appeared in itunes. They completely redesigned the unit for the 2nd generation and removed the storage

Jul 13, 2012 12:44 PM in response to Mister Phillips

Therefore, I must have one of the Generation 1 ATVs as it does have an internal hard drive. I have successfully downloaded files to this device in the past.

I do have an iPad 2 and I will try home-sharing with the ATV 1 this evening. Before I finish with this topic, is there any way that I can use my iMac to download .pdf files to the ATV 1?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Jul 13, 2012 1:04 PM in response to Mister Phillips

You would in that case. ATV 2 and 3 only have a small 8GB flash drive for buffering streamed content.

For reference

This is the 1st generation

User uploaded file

2nd Gen (3rd gen looks the same but has un updated processor and can output 1080P)

User uploaded file

ATV 1 is not compatible with Airplay/Mirroring/iCloud. You set it to sync and stream with your computer. You can still use the remote app on your iPad to control the device if you wish.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1143

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1273

I'm not sure on the PDF files but i'll find out.

Jul 13, 2012 7:13 PM in response to Mister Phillips

Vazandrew

I just happened to purchase an ATV 3 a couple of nights ago and did not have time to hook it up - until just now. The system works perfectly, transmitting .jpg images from my iPad2 to the ATV 3 and then to the TV. So simple to set up and get running! The ATV3 also stays cool to the touch, unlike the ATV 1. I never left it plugged in as it ran so hot!

Anyone want to purchase an ATV 1 as I woll probably never use it again. Technology changes so fast these days, doesn't it!

Thanks again for your help.

Unable to see my Generation 2 Apple TV under iTunes 10.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.