Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update flag won't go away

My App Store icon in the Dock shows a red "1" indicating an update is ready. When I launch it, the app (OpenGL Extensions 4.0.7) is shown as "Installed", and the installed version matches what is shown in App Store, but I can't make it disappear from the list of apps ready for installation, so my App Store icon is constantly begging for undeserved attention. How do I get rid of that alert?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 9:27 PM

9 replies

Jul 13, 2012 7:49 AM in response to DarylLee

Try clearing the cookies and/or resetting the App store.

To do so, you must first enable the Debug menu. Follow this procedure:

1. Quit the App store.

2. Open Terminal.app (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)

3. Copy and paste this command into the Terminal window:

defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu 1

press 'return' on your keyboard.

4. Open App store. In the menubar at the top notice there's a menu option 'Debug'. Click on it and choose 'Clear cookies'.

5. Restart* the App store and see if the problem is solved. If not, try 'Debug > Reset Application', restart* the App store and test again.

(*in fact, I don't think restarting the App Store should be necessary, but I haven't been able to test it against a known problem, so you might as well restart the App store for good measure).

Jul 13, 2012 2:03 PM in response to hpr3

Got the Debug menu. Neither Clear Cookies nor Reset App had any noticeable effect. So I sucked it up, deleted the app from the Applications folder, went back to the App Store, reinstalled it, and everything seems to be back to normal. I'm SOOO looking forward to doing that on every App Store update.....not. 🙂

Update flag won't go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.