Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unlocking my 3rd gen nano

I'm the second owner of a 3rd gen nano (no disk or manual).After using it several times on my pc with Vista Home premium and on one with windows 7, I started getting a can't recognize a usb device error when i plugged it in (only shows up in control panel as an unknown device). I've tried several usb ports (all 2.0) and several cables- same result. I've updated Os and iTunes, gone through the 5 Rs and tried all suggestions on the Apple support page - no difference. the latest wrench is that my granddaughter accidently locked the screen and I don't know the unlock code.Since I can't get the computer to recognize it, iTunes doesn't "see" an ipod so i can't sync or restore. The battery is completely charged and if I dock it in my home theater dvd player it still plays my stored tunes. How do I get it unlocked and how do I get my computer to recognize it?

iPod nano, Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 9:01 PM

2 replies

Jul 14, 2012 7:13 PM in response to CMCSK

She's the one who hit the lock button, but not the one who set it up. That was the first owner, who didn't think to clear it and I didn't know to ask about it until too late. The bigger issue is getting my PCs to recognize it so I can sync and reset it. It worked for several months until about one month ago.

unlocking my 3rd gen nano

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.