Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Safe-boot broken by FileVault 2?

OK. So, I would be performing a Safe Boot, if I am unable to get through the normal boot. Which tells me that I an unable to follow the "Turn Off FileVault 2" steps outlined. Am I missing something?

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 10:24 PM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2012 10:06 AM in response to sigadore

I believe the problem with Safe Boot and FileVault 2 was fixed in Mac OS X 10.7.4. I am able to perform a Safe Boot to start up in Safe Mode with FileVault enabled on a Mac running Mac OS X 10.7.4.

In Mac OS X 10.7 through 10.7.3 it appears that one either (a) could not perform a Safe Boot with FileVault enabled or (b) that no indication of Safe Boot was provided. I suspect (a) since a "Safe Boot" notification started appearing in the upper-right side of the Login Window when I perform a Safe Boot under Mac OS X 10.7.4.

I believe the AppleCare Knowledge Base article "OS X Lion: How to perform a Safe Boot if FileVault 2 is enabled" only applies to Mac OS X 10.7-10.7.3. I've sent feedback indicating that the article should be updated as it appears this problem was corrected in Mac OS X 10.7.4.

Unfortunately, no indication of this change was provided in the "About the Mac OS X 10.7.4 Update" document.

Dr. Smoke

Author, Troubleshooting Mac OS X

Jul 9, 2014 1:04 AM in response to Dr. Smoke

I'm running 10.7.5. It still appears that an actual Safe Boot login isn't possible, although the Shift key during startup DOES cause the application- and font caches to be cleared, etc. After the volume is checked and caches are cleared, the system reboots and one logs in as usual. The Apple docs suggesting that one disables FileVault to do a Safe Boot are misleading and incomplete. Disabling FileVault is only necessary when one absolutely must log in with login items disabled for troubleshooting.

Is Safe-boot broken by FileVault 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.