Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio is Muted - iTunes Won't Play

*This is a software problem - not hardware*

I have a problem where the audio is muted and I can't un-mute it. I've had a look around but can't find a solution.

Here is a summary:

* The audio is muted and grayed for all outputs

* If I hover the mouse over the volume control on the top bar you get the spinning wheel

* If I boot back in to Snow Leopared (I have a dual boot system) it all works fine - so clearly there is no hardware problem

* I tried to reinstall from a Time Machine backup and it WORKED again - but then Time Machine erased that backup so I can't do it again, and now (after a few hours) it's muted again (following a Premiere Pro crash).

Is there anything inserted in the audio chain by Premiere Pro (or other app) that could have got stuck and be broken?

Any way to clear the adudio chain?

Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 2:31 AM

7 replies

Aug 31, 2012 8:09 PM in response to Dave_E_P

One thing that does provide a temporary solution is to reinstall OS X Lion which is super easy but takes about 2 hours. You won't loose any data and you don't need disks. Reboot your computer and hold down command R to initiate the reinstall.

This is just a temporary solution and I'm still searching for the permanent solution. Did you ever figure anything out on this?

Aug 31, 2012 11:05 PM in response to evanhughjenkins

I found a solution that works for me and takes SECONDS.

Make a copy of the following TWO files....

com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

When ever the problem occurs, replace the corrupted files with the saved files (you may need to reboot) and everything works again.

You can also try just deleting those files if your system is totally corrupt and it should recreate them - but once you have a working system, make a copy of them and keep them handy.

Audio is Muted - iTunes Won't Play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.