Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot retrieve my website!

I had a website created with iWeb that I used to publish to Mobile.

When Mobile was about to end, I published it via FTP to Hostexcellence, it works fine (http://www.pascoli.com/Pascoli/Home.html).

Of late I opened iWeb and my site had vanished, there is an empty window with just a new site and templates.

I looked up to Application Support, a Domainsite2 cannot be seen, there is just a generic "Domain" file, that still leads to an empty site.

I am pretty sure I never did anything to delete the original domain!!

I also tried and recover from Time Machine, no way.

The website is still live on the net, how can I recover from that?

Thank you

GP

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 2:18 AM

9 replies

Jul 13, 2012 8:07 AM in response to pascoli1960

Do a Spotlight search for Domain or Domain.sites2 if you have file extensions turned on in Finder preferences.

If that doesn't find the file, download and use the freeware Find File...

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30073/find-file

See this page under "iWeb and Lion OS X 10.7" for info about how to launch a site in iWeb using Lion...

http://www.iwebformusicians.com/iWeb/iWeb-Tips.html

Jul 13, 2012 3:29 PM in response to pascoli1960

In Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder. With the User/Library now visible check to see if you can find the domain file.

If you find it see below to open it:

To open your domain file in Lion or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

OT

Jul 18, 2012 2:35 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad & Roddy,

Great to see you on this discussion, too. You guys were just talking to me about getting my sites published in another discussion.

Well, I finally managed them plublished a few days ago, and now one has inexplicably disappeared. when i open iweb I'm prompted to start a new site! My domain.sites.2 is also empty in that same identity from what I can tell (I have the computer divided up into different identities for iweb purposes.)

I saw instructions on the web for using something called iwebdrop, but when I try to open that, nothing happens.

I didn't like that particular site very much and was planning to rebuild it, anyway, but I'm concerned about htis happening again! I had just decided to give iweb another chance and built site #5 with it this week!

I am backed up on time machine. I've never used it. I'm using 10.5.8

niki

Jul 18, 2012 2:44 PM in response to Niki1

Look in your Users/Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder and see if there are more than one domain file there. If there is open each in turn and see if one contains your website.

To restore a good domain file open your Users/Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder and then enter Time Machine. Go back to a date when the site would be sure to be in the domain file, select the doman file and use the Restore button.

But check first to see if there's another domain file in the iWeb folder. Actually you should download and use Find Any File to search for ".sites2" on your boot drive. Find Any File can search areas that Spotlight can't, like invisible folders, etc. It there is more than one domain file on your hard drive FAF will find them.

I cannot retrieve my website!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.