Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I moved from US to UK. I brought my MacBook. Can I buy a UK charger with no harm to my battery in my US Mac?

Bought my US Macbook 2 years ago. I moved to the UK a month ago. Everytime I plug my charger into an adapter it sizzles and makes noises. That is never a good sign in my mind. So I was wondering if my US battery can handle UK voltage if I bought a UK charger?

Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 4:07 AM

yes. Your mac has built in voltage switching: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1981

3 replies

Jul 13, 2012 4:56 AM in response to US Voltage confusion

The standard MagSafe charger is identical for US and UK (or anywhere else in the world). All you need is the three-pin adapter to replace the "duck head".

This is available as part of the World Travel Pack, which should be available from any Apple Store.

The standard charger accepts input of 100 to 240V AC, 50-60Hz, which comfortably covers most of the world. If you look carefully, this information is printed on the charger body (in light grey on white!).

If the adapter you're using is behaving as you say, stop using it. You can temporarily use a standard radio/CD player lead (the figure-of-eight connector) plugged directly into the charger after removing the US plug;

User uploaded file

That doesn't earth the case though, so some static buildup is possible.

Obtain the correct Adaptor as soon as possible.

User uploaded file

I moved from US to UK. I brought my MacBook. Can I buy a UK charger with no harm to my battery in my US Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.