Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you assign MIDI channels to Garageband?

Here is my goal:

#1 - I choose a multi-timbre VST instrument (say Sample Tank).

One "instance" loads up.

#2 - Load up the VST instrument with sounds/patches. The Sample Tank has about 16 MIDI channels each of which contains an instrument. I save this and it becomes a multi-timbral set of sounds (another type of patch).

#3 - In order to get Garageband to play any other sounds other than the first sound (MIDI channel 1), I need to set my instrument to "transmit" a different MIDI channel (say 2) into the GB track to play that sound that is in the Sample Tank set of sounds.

(A bit confusing)

#4 - Is there any other way of doing this? I was hoping that I could just click on the Garageband track and "assign it to MIDI channel 2" rather then flip around with the transmission stuff.

I know that this discussion is not for beginners but anyone using any VST or other instruments outside of Apple's sound set will run into this.

IN THE OLD DAYS -- I posted a picture to verify I'm old. :-)

I had a MIDI keyboard. I had a Roland D-110 multi-timbral synth module. I would select Patch 21 on the D-110. This is my instrument set ready to go. I would set up a MIDI track in say Master Tracks Pro and set the MTP track to go to whatever instrument I needed on the D-110.

So, I want to replicate this very simple old-way of doing things.

Any tips, suggestions, websites, blogs, or other forums?

Thanks in advance.

One more technical email question and then I'm done.

:-)

John

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 8:03 AM

gunwalls007 wrote:

unfortunately, you don't, GB listens to all channels all the time

(BTW, GB doesn't use VST plug-ins, only AudioUnits)

1 reply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.